material for under playarea suggestions

dkgarberJune 25, 2008

I am designating the area between two large trees in my yard for a play space for my 14 month old. I am thinking a sand box, climber and a playhouse.

It is a good area b/c it gets shade most of the day. THe problem is the leaves and pine needles....

I was thinking rubber mulch, but how would I clean the needles and leaves out??? I wanted to do sand because I could easily sift the sand and remove any "stuff" but then I read that uncovered sand is dirty and unsanitary. But the playgrounds all have sand, right??

Suggestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Is there grass there now? I would leave it. It's much easier to mow and rake grass than to rake "stuff" out of sand....and besides, sand becomes a litter box unless it's securely fenced.
What harm are the leaves and pine needles causing?
And remember next year she will be older....and still older the year after that.
And frankly I think a 14 month old is pretty young to be worrying about a play area with climbers and all.

Small river rock works well under a play area, but toddlers are apt to put them in their mouth.
I would just get a play house on the grass and move it ofteh this summer....then perhaps next year she will be old enough not to put stray stuff in her mouth./
Linda C

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
she is too demanding
First, my mom never hits me. My brother and I got into...
logan524
Tips for a long car trip with 23 mos old
We will be travelling in April by car - 1200 miles...
jollyrd
playdates - how to relate to a "passive" mother?
I have one 2 yr old son. I am trying to have playdates...
jollyrd
Bedtime routine? What's yours
I don't think my bedtime routine for my 3 year old...
myfampg
my 2 year old son can spell words
so my sons favorite toy is his collection of magnet...
tylers_dad_josh
Sponsored Products
King 300TC Fitted Sheet - HONEY DEW
$225.00 | Horchow
Fresca Torino White Double Bathroom Vanity, 3 Cabinets & Vessel Sinks
Hudson Reed
Williamsburg Wall Sconce -Polished Brass
$55.10 | Bellacor
Kincaid Pendant by Feiss
$174.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Lighting. Bali Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Matte Black Light F
Home Depot
Series 443 Rustic Sienna Five-Light Chandelier
$268.20 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™