Playpen use by 3 year old

nicole_momJune 20, 2006

I share joint cutody with my 3 year old son's father; my son visits his father every second weekend for a sleepover. At his house, he sleeps exclusively in a playpen, for all naps and overnights.

I'm sure I once heard that children over three years of age weren't to sleep in playpens because they could climb out/other safety concerns... Does anyone else know of any regulations following playpen use after a child turns three?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carla35

Three does sound old to me.

You should probably refer to the instruction manual for the playpen and its weight and/or height restrictions and also it's usage for naps and overnight usage. Do you know the make of it? You could also ask your pediatrician for his opinion on the matter. They would probably know of the dangers first hand and you could pass on this "expert" opinion to your EX.

I bet your EX feels your son is safer in a playpen if he's not climbing out, so that he can't get into things.

Be careful not to suggest a crib at this age though. Many cribs also have height and weight restrictions that are lower than most three year olds too.

Sounds like dad may need to get his house in safe order and set up a toddler type bed for your son.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 1:43PM
jennison

I found a very good site on the net that features an excellent safety info about playpens. You may want to check it out to ensure the safety of your child. Just click on the link below. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: PickyGuide

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 2:20AM
lindac

I am sure your son could also climb out of a regular bed....and certainly could crawl out of a crib.
I had a Pack-n'Play for my twin grandsoms...one slept in the crib and the other in the Pack-n' Play. When they got to be over about 2 1/2 I left the sides down so they could get out without climbing.
I expect your son finds it cozy and homey ...I wouldn't worry.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 12:00AM
trekaren

What lindac said.

My DD loved the pack n play for naps and overnight trips. It was homey to her.

(my nephew however was a big kid and couldn't sleep in one. So i'd say it depends on size and weight).

In general, I agree with lindac, though. I'm sure it's fine.

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
4 year old won't potty train
My four year old son refuses to be potty trained. Any...
rynn01
Fever & Rash from MMR Vaccine?
DD had her 15 month checkup last week and got her MMR...
Karla_NE
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
Best place for 2 yr old B-day party
Ok Parents....gather around and help this tired ole...
rushaheart
Did I hurt nanny's feelings?
My son (21 mos) goes to a lovely nanny who keeps total...
jollyrd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™