whining in a one year old

lillianpadMay 1, 2009

I am at my wits end.

My daughter is 12 month old.

She is the epitamy of what a bipolar one year old would be. One minute she is perfectly happy and laughing the next minute she is SCREAMING. From there we transgress to whining. Not to mention she is clinging. She will not deal with any one but me, and if you know how this, you can imagine I am at the point of pulling my hair out. She whines so much!

I talk to her now when she whines. And this has been helping monumentally. I remain calm, because getting upset makes her upset.

But how can I brake the clingyness. I cannot leave her with any one. She makes herself pass out! SHe has been doing this for 4 months now. I took her to a Dr. They said, though it was more commonly seen in a toddler, it was a safe behavior of dominance. And let me tell you, it works.

How to I brake this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracystoke

Hi,sorry i have no advice just letting you know it is very normal,my son is 11 months old he has always been like this,.whines if i put him down i literally carry him everywhere ,I find it impossible to get much done around the house.but it is all my fault i shouldnt of started it ,when he whined i shouldnt of picked him up all the time.My now three year old was exactly the same,but is fine now,so they do grow out of it,but i know what you mean it does drive you nuts.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 3:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweeby

One thing I did when my son was demonstrating this type of behavior (though he was a bit older) is to put something fascinating - their favorite toy - nearby and in view. Then to just sit there like a bump on a log and be absolutely boring. Not cold, but inattentive and BORING. Within a few minutes, the child will probably get up to play with the toy. Don't leave imediately or they'll get the connection, but sit there and go through your mail, do something on the other side of the room, gradually get a bit farther away...

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
twin bed or full bed for a toddler
I am trying to find out what would be better for a...
arcy_2007
4 year old won't potty train
My four year old son refuses to be potty trained. Any...
rynn01
babysitting rates
I have one 17 month old son. Generally, What are the...
Ronda
my 2 year old son can spell words
so my sons favorite toy is his collection of magnet...
tylers_dad_josh
My 2 year old wont stay in bed! help!
My husband and I are having major issues getting out...
courtneyp102
Sponsored Products
HGTV HOME Energy Angular Nickel Table Lamp Multicolor - HGTV349
$270.00 | Hayneedle
Candlewood One-Light Wall Sconce in Rustique Patina
$47.95 | Bellacor
Unscented Responsible Dish & Hand Soap
$9.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Palazzo Black/Turquoise 2 ft. x
$32.97 | Home Depot
ELK Lighting 73041-1 Avalon Pendant - 5W in. Silver - 73041-1
$126.00 | Hayneedle