One final white beaded inset cabinet question . . .

maggie530February 13, 2013

I have to put the deposit down on my cabinets this week. (Using Miller's Dutch Haus - the cabinet maker who did Tinker 2006's kitchen). I have been going back and forth for months now on bead/no bead, slab front drawer/5 piece drawer.

I emailed the cabinet company and said we had finally decided to go with beaded inset, slab front drawers. They responded by asking if I wanted slab doors also. WHAT? There's slab doors also? I swear I have looked at Gardenweb pictures for the last six months and even the kitchens with slab front drawer fronts have five piece doors.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but could someone please save me some time and help me find a beaded inset all slab kitchen?

Thanks,
Maggie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2LittleFishies

Hard for me to find... These are close but the side panel and the door are still 5 piece. I have no idea of your kitchen plan but all slab seems way too flat for ME.

Contemporary Kitchen design by Dc Metro Kitchen And Bath Cameo Kitchens, Inc.

Contemporary Kitchen design by Dc Metro Kitchen And Bath Cameo Kitchens, Inc.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 10:05PM
maggie530

Thanks, I kept looking and never found a beaded inset slab door. Every kitchen has had the 5 piece doors. I think I must have misunderstood.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 10:11PM
2LittleFishies

I'm sure they exist. You can do whatever you like : ) They probably just asked to clarify as they don't want to assume anything.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 10:35PM
CEFreeman

I am going and making slab drawers and doors. I love its clean, smooth look that lets the bead be the decoration.

After literally years of looking at cabinets that didn't wow me, I saw a pic of a dresser with slab drawers. My jaw dropped, my eyes rolled back in my head, I started to shake and I screamed, "THAT'S IT!!!!!"

So... slab and beaded inset it is.

Iin other rooms I keep finding myself going Shaker. Again, a nice flat panel. I'm fighting that, because of a 17' bank of cabs in my MBR, but I'm just love them, too.

But I keep returning to the smoothness of the slabs. Saves a bunch of money, too. :)

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 11:46PM
ellendi

CEF, can you post some of your progress? I always like hearing what you are up to and would love to see what you have done so far.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 7:32AM
francoise47

Here are inset slab doors (note that they are not beaded).

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 7:37AM
catbuilder

francoise47,
The drawers in your picture are slab, but the door is not.

maggie530,
It doesn't matter if you can find a picture of slab doors. You can have them if that's what you want. They aren't normally done because of the problem with warping and swelling, particularly with large doors. You see them more on contemporary cabinets that are full overlay, because the swelling problem isn't as much of an issue then.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 7:55AM
francoise47

Hi Catbuilder,

Now I'm confused And curious...
What makes the door in the picture I posted above not a slab. And what would you call that kind of door?
For future reference I'd love to know because I really like that clean, spare style.

(I thought a slab inset door was a door constructed of one piece, not a raised panel or recessed panel door. But I'm not a professional kitchen designer!)

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 8:03AM
2LittleFishies

francoise- the door you posted is a 5 piece door. It has the "frame" around the center panel. A slab would be totally flat like the drawers are.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 8:09AM
cribbs

We have made a lot of inset with bead cabinets and have never done slab doors with it. Slab df yes but not doors.

Travis Alfrey
Pinehurst, NC

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 8:12AM
francoise47

Hi 2littlefishies -- thanks!
I was just looking at the slab drawers.
(I need my morning coffee.)

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 8:21AM
stacylh

I think catbuilder has a good point. I think that the swelling/warping issue would sway me away from them on inset cabinets.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:17AM
maggie530

Thank you all, I think I finally get it!

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:36AM
maggie530

Thank you all, I think I finally get it!

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Granite Countertop seam question
I have a new construction house on contract. The granite...
sega_102
Need floorplan advice/help
Hello everyone! Looking for floorplan advice on our...
K L
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™