rustoleum issues

WendyBAugust 14, 2010

is Rustoleum (or other enamel) paint typically difficult to work with or is it me? It came out very streaky. I used foam rollers for flat areas and a 1" regular brush for moldings and cutting in.

the long story: I painted a desk/hutch awhile ago using Aura Black eggshell and it came out nice. But I recently realized that the chair I used with that desk ought to be black too. It had a lot of rungs on the back so I figured spray painting was the way to go. So I spray painted it with Rustoleum Satin Black. The cap color matched my desk great. It came out wonderful, but much blacker and shinier than the desk (and the cap!). I sanded it down lightly to take the sheen down and antique the edges. But still the two blacks were worlds apart. I wasn't sure if it was a sheen difference (eggshell/satin) or a color difference, but I suspected a bit of both. So I bought the same Rustoleum Black Satin that I used in a spray paint in a quart to re-do the desk. Definitely, not my best work. Okay from a distance, but up close, lots of areas not nearly as smooth and sleek as I would like.

I'm tempted to go back and do it all over again in Aura satin but I might not match the black chair right. I suppose I could do that over too even with the rungs. Now that the chair was spray painted once, additional coats could be done by hand I guess.

Or do I need to focus on more sanding to even things out? with what exactly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

R-O is very good paint...spray or brush-on.

We go thru bunches of it!

What exact R-O spray &/or brush-on series were ya using?

Faron

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 11:02AM
WendyB

It just says Satin.... "classic low-sheen".

I think it has too much gloss for Satin, but that's another story.

I used a foam roller and I can see some edges. Would I be better off going over it with a brush? Is it self-levelling? I was fearful of brush marks.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 11:20AM
Faron79

Hmmmm...Is it the "Touch-n-Tone" series?
That's the LOW end stuff.

Others:
Universal (top of the line here!), Professional (also top-notch), 2X, Stops-Rust series, American-Accents, or Painter's-Touch?

Faron

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 11:47AM
WendyB

Stops-Rust

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 11:49AM
Faron79

SR is a good line.

The blacks will be different because the TINTED Aura won't be as black as a factory-tinted black (spray or liquid).

Was the Aura factory-tinted or STORE tinted?

Bottom-line...they'll never match exactly (sheen or color) unless both are done with the same paint.

Faron

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 12:00PM
WendyB

I'm not trying to match Aura/R-O at this point. That's why I did R-O on the desk.

Right now, I just want to get the R-O nice looking. Can I?

The R-O chair is great (spray). THe R-O desk is streaky (paint)

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 12:13PM
Faron79

(went out to finish mowing front yard...now that it's cooler!)

Yes, every paint "handles" different obviously.
Wait a day or so, and scuff-sand the desk.
* Remove all dust.
* Using long, full strokes (with a good brush!), lay on the paint and get out of it.
* After literally 60 seconds, don't brush any more.
* How wide a brush are ya using?
* Streaking is normally caused by brushing too much...and/or lower quality brushes. Also, use the coolest room that's practical!

Faron

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:14PM
WendyB

scuff-sand ...

what do you mean precisely. grit? medium?

* How wide a brush are ya using?

I was using a 6" foam roller. The door with the largest surface that gets all the reflected light, is about 18" wide. What size brush would you recommend?

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 6:14PM
Faron79

Scuff-sand: Use ~ 120-grit.

For wide areas: Use the foam roller.
* Make sure roller gets saturated. Give paint a min. or so to soak in, then apply evenly.
* Always "lay off" with a long/light finishing roll in the same direction.
* Same instructions for brushing...loooonnngggg fluid, even strokes where possible, always finishing with long/light strokes in the same direction.
* If you feel it's drying too fast to work with, use some XIM X-tender for OIL paints. This stuff gives more working time to the paint, and helps it level. It's NOT a thinner.
* Since it's an OIL paint, use a Natural-bristle brush. Examples would be...White or Black China-bristle, Purdy's Syntox series brushes, or a good Chinex.

Faron

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 12:06AM
WendyB

an update...

I got it a little better, but it was still streaky. I used the foam roller again. And of course, I couldn't cut in around the stiles with the roller so that edge was not clean either. Today I gave in and just removed the cabinet doors and drawers and took them outside and spray painted them. Success! The frame is fine as-is, its too thin to be a problem and the side panels don't get the good light that the front gets.

I will never use Rustoleum liquid again. (but the spray can't be beat!) Plus I don't like that I can't easily cleanup and re-use materials. I disposed of everything even a (older) good brush and hated that. I usually wash and re-use even disposable things.

Aura for me forever...

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
Wall color for dark gray couch with yellow accent pillows
Wondering what wall color would look good with a dark...
hammy5
Repainting recently painted cabinets
If someone could offer me some advice I'd be so very...
deever
Sponsored Products
Pet Tags Classic No Bark Collar - 72537
$26.79 | Hayneedle
'Trust Issues' Box Sign
$11.99 | zulily
SteamSpa Saunas & Steam Units 12kW QuickStart Steam Bath Generator D-1200
Home Depot
Round Resin Madison Planter - A114080
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Military Toddler Bed - MILITARY TBED-GREEN
$324.95 | Hayneedle