playdates - how to relate to a "passive" mother?

jollyrdApril 5, 2013

I have one 2 yr old son. I am trying to have playdates for him with other kids - boys or girls, same age, older or younger - it does not matter to me. I just want him to have a play time and another adult for me to talk to while they are playing. I had one mother/friend who has two kids - 9 mos boy and 3 yr old girl. I had them come over to our place once for 4 hours, and we went to their house for about 30-45 minutes once. Sometime the 3 yr girl and my 2 yr old son start to get too tired or confrontational over toys, so we just leave. But overall, the kids have a good time.

But my question is about the mother. Both times (at our house and their house), she is the one who sits in the same spot (chair, couch) all the time, and does not get up for anything. Not for meal time, not for keeping the children from hitting each other, etc. She just sits. I end up being the person who gets drinks and food for the kids, keep an eye to make sure one kid does not drink out of the other kid's cup, keep them apart when they argue about "who gets the toy", etc.

She does not wipe the kids' drools from their nose or mouth. She did get up once - to change the diaper for the 9 mos old, and help the 3 yr with the potty. But - I seriously say this -- I did not see her wash her hands, and the toilet was left dirty after the 3 yr old 'business' was over.

How do I look at this? Is she a person I should continue to have playdates with? Should I speak up before, during or after the playdate is over?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
popi_gw

Well it sounds like she is not your type of person.

Find a friend who is like you, has the same standards of behavour.

Take a trip to the local park, lots of opportunity to meet other mothers there.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 4:11AM
jollyrd

That's clear to me. And I do reach out to other mothers in the neighborhood and at church. But they are close by and are friends, so I was hoping to expand this relationship. But I know everyone does the parenting their own way.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 1:39PM
PNWhs

Maybe she is severely depressed. Maybe she is having a rough time. Maybe she is exhausted. Why don't you start a conversation with her and ask?

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:59AM
More Discussions
Your kids may like veggies afterall!
I grew up thinking I didn't like veggies. As a vegetarian,...
ynnej
terrible 3's please help
So to start off, this is about my niece. I am her nanny....
ashleykreay22
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
Goodnight Moon cloth book
Hello A friend of mine has a cloth book with characters...
scoutcat
my 3 yr old daughter will not mind
Please help! My 3 year old daughter is going through...
wendolyn55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™