twin bed or full bed for a toddler

arcy_2007April 22, 2007

I am trying to find out what would be better for a toddler a twin bed or a full bed size? we bought a twin bed for our daugher who is 33 months old and my husband keeps insisting that we need to switch it to a full size for the long term. the manager at the furniture store is willing to make the switch. I think that even for long term a twin is okay, but I am open to a full size since it would probably be more comfortable for her in later years. I can't make a decision at this point becuase I also think a twin is more than enough and she will be able to use it until she is probably 13 or 14. any ideas, suggestions.

I really need help in making this decision since I need to get back to the store manager with my choice. Please help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

There is no way any kid "needs" a full sized bed.
But when they get older it is kind of fun for sleepovers.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 3:09PM
ninos

We have all our kids in full size beds. I know it not something that they need however we are very frugal with money. We knew that eventually they would all move into bigger beds so we figured to just save the money now by not buying twin and having to buy again later. The full size is great for sleepovers and the kids love to share beds with each other.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 2:45PM
Vickey__MN

My kids always had twin beds growing up. They bought their own full/queen/king when they moved out. Budget said twin, room in house said twin, so that's what they got.

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 6:46PM
bobbi_socal

We went with a full size bed. our DS didn't need it, but Mom and Dad did......He went through a period of needing someone to lay down with him to fall asleep during the night terror times. So we upsized to ensure if we were laying down with him and happened to fall asleep, we might get a couple hours of decent rest, rather than hanging off the side of a twin.....

And he loves the big bed, can share with his cousin if they have a sleep over.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 12:36AM
sheilajoyce_gw

We bought our kids twins. They had plenty of extra room for playing that way. I saw no need for a full bed. When they graduated and went out on their own, they all bought queen sized beds (hoping to get lucky). The oldest married, and she abandoned the queen for a king.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 7:49PM
sweeby

My older son's twin bed is still fine and he's 19!
Younger son has a queen, but only because it was a hand-me-down.

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 11:38AM
colleenoz

I'm a fluffy adult, and I have a twin! As a small child I had a full size bed but that was because my parents inherited it from my grandmother. When we moved and couldn't bring much furniture with us they bought us twins and I don't recall having any problems adjusting. I had a twin until I moved out and bought my own full sized bed. Now I've moved into a twin and don't miss the queen I used to have. Your children will be fine in twins.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 8:30AM
sheilajoyce_gw

If I had it to do over, I would get twin extra long size for our sons as our family is tall.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 9:14PM
butkusrules

Maybe I'm outlier here but We recently moved into a house where one of kids rooms was big, we just decided to go with a queen and that indestructable steel bed from Room and Board. My brothers and I broke beds regularly as kids. My dad came by and said it was a great decision. Plus it's big enough that putting my 4 year old isn't totally uncomfortable.

Bookmark   October 25, 2014 at 4:55AM
More Discussions
Bedtime routine? What's yours
I don't think my bedtime routine for my 3 year old...
myfampg
she is too demanding
First, my mom never hits me. My brother and I got into...
logan524
Best place for 2 yr old B-day party
Ok Parents....gather around and help this tired ole...
rushaheart
My three-year-old daughter doesn't talk
She understands everything we say, and only selectively...
regansmom
Speech Delay?
My daughter is almost 3 years old. She talks..alot..but...
sedda
Sponsored Products
Silk Pillow with Diagonal Onion Trim 12" x 16" - INK/GOLD (12X16)
$190.00 | Horchow
Jennifer Taylor Fortune Comforter/Duvet Set - 2866-657
Hayneedle
Rossetto | Air Platform Bed
YLiving.com
Liberty Furniture Avalon Platform Bed & Dresser & Mirror & Chest & Nightstand in
Beyond Stores
Bed Side Lamps: 35 in. Lorenzo Table Lamp 684-32711
Home Depot
Select Luxury New Life 4.5-inch Full-size Memory Foam Sofa Bed Sleeper Mattress
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™