apraxia?

gobabyApril 10, 2003

Hi! My son was just diagnosed with apraxia (or dyspraxia). Anyone else out there that has gone through this? I'm just wondering if you have found any sources of info or good therapies out there? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joann23456

I did a quick search to find out what apraxia was. I found this website, which looks fairly good. Not sure, as I didn't read it through.

If you search on Google, you'll find lots of sites. But you probably already know that.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: apraxia

Bookmark   April 14, 2003 at 11:24PM
eileenlamp

Our daughter, now 25 yrs old, was diagnosed with apraxia when she was 18 months old. She attended a special pre-school for babies/toddlers with language/speech problems. She also learned sign language so she could communicate (and we took classes, also) and had private speech and language lessons with a speech pathologist who specialized in infant speech development.
When she went onto elementary school, she had speech three times a week. It was very tough and a very emotional time. However, she's 25 now, speaks normally, and is a wonderful girl! She still has some slight problems with understanding directions and will probably also have some slight problems with understanding speech. However, she is able to work as an administrative assistant (she's a whiz in the computer!) and commands a high salary as her computer skills are outstanding. She didn't have to talk to a computer. :)
It's a tough road, but use all the resourses your county has to offer including special pre-schools, etc. All of our daughter's pre- schooling, speech and language classes, sign language, etc, were paid for by our state and county.

Bookmark   January 13, 2007 at 2:18AM
sweeby

My 11 year old son has apraxia also, and the first web link posted - Apraxia-Kids.org is absolutely THE BEST resource out there for parents of apraxic kids. It's also an amazing site for kids with other speech or language disorders, or special needs in general.

John had one-on-one intensive speech therapy between 2 and 6 times per week for almost 7 years, occupational therapy for 3 years, music therapy and vision therapy for 2 years each. Apraxia is a very real problem...

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 12:35AM
More Discussions
Tips for a long car trip with 23 mos old
We will be travelling in April by car - 1200 miles...
jollyrd
Best place for 2 yr old B-day party
Ok Parents....gather around and help this tired ole...
rushaheart
Goodnight Moon cloth book
Hello A friend of mine has a cloth book with characters...
scoutcat
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
Toddler Gifted - What to do?
I am not bragging (and my husband has administered...
rob333
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™