Flat or Satin for exterior brick walls next to shingles?

collins designAugust 13, 2011

They're not real brick, they're brick-shaped cinder block (and ugly!) We're painting them a putty/greige color using Ben Moore Aura exterior. The Ben Moore folks give conflicting advice on sheen: flat so as not to accentuate surface texture OR satin so "dirt won't stick as easily". What would you choose?

FWIW Half the house is shingled in cabot oil dipped white cedar shingles like this:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Satin, satin, satin.

Flat should NEVER be used exterior. Just because many people do, doesn't make it right.

In order for surface texture and imperfections to be seen they have to be at a level and angle that is easy to see. You kinda have to go out of your way to look at the area on the exterior you're talking about. You see it of course, but not like it's an expanse of 100% exposed wall.

Still necessary to do good prep. I've painted that area on my homes a couple times now. Make sure it's clean and knock off any mortar boogers with a 5 in 1 or something like that. Clean, bone dry and smooth as is reasonable for block.

It is hard work, but you are SO going to love how this detail *finishes* the whole look.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 6:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
collins design

Thanks! I was leaning towards satin as well. Just to be clear, though, this isn't just lower foundation walls, the house has full one-story high walls that are this concrete block "brick". Half the house is this 1950's masonry, the rest (an addition plus the gables) is shingled... Excellent prep has been done, pressure washing, caulking, and priming with SW Loxon Concrete Primer.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
What is the best interior latex paint?
I have used Ben Moore for the past 40 years as a superior...
pjj1955
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Sponsored Products
'Faith, Family, Friends' Welcome Sign
$14.99 | zulily
Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light 15 in. Antique Brass Finish Clear Beveled Glass Outdoo
Home Depot
Kichler Armida Brushed Nickel Bath 4-Light
PLFixtures
Whitehaus Collection 13W x 31.5H in. Vertical Wall Mount Bathroom Storage Cabine
$451.00 | Hayneedle
Elaina Mirror
$796.00 | Horchow
Artek | White 2 Wall Floor Lamp
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™