Looking for advice on Solid Color Stains

compumomAugust 29, 2010

We're rebuilding our pergola. The rest of the house trim is white paint. The contractor suggested we might use a solid color stain. It's new to us, can you please comment as to which looks best in white and will last longer in mild climate (So.Calif)? Please note that CA has strict environmental controls and we're not able to use oil based paints that are more durable.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: A similar type of Pergola

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy1

Think of solid stain as a thinner version of paint. It's opaque like paint, just not as thick a film so all things being equal, it typically will not last as long as paint. If it were me, I'd just prime and paint it with a high quality acrylic paint.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 4:22PM
edgar.m

Since im from the east coast I have no clue as to what's available out in cali however flood makes a latex/ oil solid stain that last up to 15 yrs if that is not an option have you considered doing the "rafters" in a transparent stain and priming and painting the frame work and pillars or just the pillars to make it "pop"

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 9:14PM
claudialina10

I like Cabot's non-oil solid color stain. Used it on my back deck (I'm in upstate NY, with lots of snow so need lots of protection) and I love it. It's like paint, but won't peel.

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 7:33PM
cinnamonsworld

Well, I just for the first time tried out a stain... just on a small decoratively cut piece of cabinet wood ... to see if a black stain would look all that much different from black paint.

Based on what I saw, I'd say I'd definitely use a stain for your white wood project vs. paint it. Very different looks. One looks earthy, real and natural and the other looks like - well - paint. (Also, stain shouldn't peel!)

I don't know about outdoor stains, but have seen some in the aisles at Home Depot. The woodworking (indoor mainly) stains I was playing around with were from Minwax, which I see has some sort of a white pickling stain at the link I'm posting here.

I'd go browse that aisle at Home Depot, get a couple of 'stain chip' brochures and maybe a $5-10 can of whatever white stain (like woodworking, indoor) they have just to try on some piece of wood somewhere so you can see the effect and decide - whether that means you'll be buying an outdoor stain and doing it yourself or hiring a contractor to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax stains - see the pickling white

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 12:24AM
compumom

Thanks to all for your input. I think we're going to go with the painted surface-- since it's attached to the house it would look odd next to painted wood trim.

I will research the paints and try to report back. If I forget, you can find me on the cooking forum! ;)

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 2:05AM
More Discussions
What is the best interior latex paint?
I have used Ben Moore for the past 40 years as a superior...
pjj1955
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Storing paint for repairs/touchups
I have paint that I want to store for later use. I...
esga
Sponsored Products
Green Evie Three-Piece Plush Microsuede Sherpa Blanket Set
$54.99 | zulily
Smart White - Satin Turquoise Ovo Lamp with Color Finial
Lamps Plus
Simmons Kids Hollywood 4 Drawer Chest - 318040-066
$549.99 | Hayneedle
Gray 600-Thread Count Reversible Sheet Set
$44.99 | zulily
Casa Sierra Bronze 23 1/2" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus