Can you freeze homemade cheese ring/balls?

murphy_zone7November 20, 2012

I am wondering if I can freeze the following recipe with good results: Obviously not the preserves or crackers. I would just like to make to the ring stage, freeze, then take out, thaw, and serve.

Cheese Ring

1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded

6 ounces (approx. 1 1 1/2 cups) finely chopped pecans

1 cup mayonnaise (can vary depending on taste use enough to "bind" the ingredients together)

1/2 cup onions, finely diced

Dash cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Jar of strawberry preserves (optional, recommended 12 oz.)

Crackers

Combine cheese, pecans, onions, and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl. Add in the cayenne and black pepper. Mix thoroughly until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Transfer mixture to a plate and shape by patting the mixture flat and forming a rim around the edge. (If you have a mold, you may use that instead to form the ring, if desired.) Refrigerate until chilled, approximately 2 hours.

Fill the center of the ring with the preserves when you are ready to serve. Serve with crackers. Serves approximately 6-8 people.

FYI This the recipe for the Plains cheese ring made famous by President and Mrs. Carter who were from Plains, GA.

Thanks for any input

Murphy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chase_gw

Others may have a different opinion but I found a texture issue the one and only time I tried to freeze a cheese ball. Mind you I have made them a full week, or more, in advance an kept refrigerated.

My favourite cheese "ball" is one I make up with all the bits and bobs of cheese I find myself. I use cream cheese as the base and add grated "everything in the cheese bin" add mayo, a bit of Tabasco and chopped onion. I place in crocks and serve as a spread. Great way to use up cheese and it keeps really well. The last batch I made lasted 2 weeks.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:29AM
lindac

Some cheeses freeze well....well actually all cheese freezes well...it's in the defrosting where we get into trouble!!
I freeze blue cheese all the time, defrost in the refrigerator and all is well, no loss of texture. But cream cheese gets crumbly, as does mozzerella.
I think ti has to do with the fat content...I suspect that with all the added mayo, your cheese ball would be fine....but I don't know as i have never frozen a cheese ball. BUT, I have seen them in the speciality case at some stores....but maybe they were made of "faux cheese"..LOL!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:49AM
murphy_zone7

Thanks Chase and Linda. I just wanted to get ahead and make up about 3 of these. Have several occasions that require a "finger food" type of thing coming up in the next couple of weeks.
I have frozen chunks of cheese before but Linda is right...it sometimes just doesn't work and I won't risk it this time.
Will prepare as I go or make something else.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 4:56AM
azzalea

Also, you're never supposed to freeze mayonnaise.

I definitely would not freeze that recipe.

However, about freezing cream cheese? I do it all the time. I leave it in the original package, and put it in a ziplock bag. Freeze. When you defrost, the cream cheese will have a very splintery texture. It's fine for using in recipes. If you want to serve it as a spread or for a dip--all you have to do is let it come to room temperature and then beat it with your electric mixer for 5 minutes or so. It will smooth out and be fine.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:50AM
teresa_nc7

Back in the day when I made lots of cheese balls during the holidays, I found they kept well for weeks just wrapped well and put in the refrigerator.

BTW, that cheese ring with the strawberry jam is soooo good!

Teresa

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 10:36AM
lindac

The cheesed ball I make won't keep more than 4 or 5 days in the refrig...because it contains blue cheese and the whole thing starts to turn to blue fuzz!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™