Flouride

victory_tea2085March 1, 2006

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Did a search on flouride for babies and learned nothing. Our dentist ordered a liquid flouride for our 8 month old. I have heard both positive and negatives about flouride for babies and am wondering if anyone on this forum has some knowledge as to the advisability of giving it to our little "Caleb". Thanks

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victory_tea2085

This is embarrassing, but maybe my searchs did not work so well because I misspelled "fluoride". Sorry, Paul

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 1:36AM
trekaren

Fluoride is key to development of skull and spinal bones in addition to teeth. If the doctor ordered it you should go ahead and use it.

Babies can get enough if they are breastfed and if mom drinks fluoridated water. They can also get it if the mom uses fluoridated bottled water to make the powdered formula from. At 8 months, baby can also drink tap water in their bottle.

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 9:03AM
carla35

I would probably go with what the doctor says. It may have something to do with where you live. I think certain areas have more flouride in their water than others. If it's below a certain number than supplements are recommended. You could call your water dept. What do other people in your area do with their babies? If no one else is, I would specifically ask your doctor why he thinks it's needed.

Personally, I wouldn't use bottled water for a baby...too much chance of bacteria. Tap is usually better.

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 9:37AM
trekaren

Carla,
They make a special water specifically for use in making formula, that hopefully puts it in a different category than tap. :-) at least we can always hope so.

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 11:15AM
carla35

Oh, thanks, I never heard of it. It's probably specially regulated for infants. I never had to worry about the tap water around here, but I remember someone telling me not to make the formula with bottled water. Like, there's not enough other stuff to be worried about!

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
playdates - how to relate to a "passive" mother?
I have one 2 yr old son. I am trying to have playdates...
jollyrd
Toy vacuum for 4 year old
This is my first time posting in this forum, and I'm...
laxgal
Toddler Pants: Grovia or Antsy?
Has anybody used both Grovia and Antsy toddler pants?...
SMNDP7
Bedtime routine? What's yours
I don't think my bedtime routine for my 3 year old...
myfampg
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™