year old sleep problem

donnerFebruary 19, 2008

My 1 year old grandson is waking up 1 or 2 times a night screaming. Daughter is beside herself wondering if something hurts him. Dr. doesn't seem concerned. It takes an hour for him to settle down and go back to sleep most times. Would this be caused by the little guy having dreams?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

Is he allergic to cow's milk? That causes distended stomach and night wakefulness. If so, it takes about a month for all the milk to leave his system, though I saw a change in DS after 2 weeks.

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 7:31PM
donner

Thanks for responding. That was a thought I had. I sent your response on to DD. How old was your DS when this happened?

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 10:26PM
adellabedella_usa

This may also be night terrors. Ds#2 had them when he was younger. I'm attaching a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: night terrors

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 11:48AM
sheilajoyce_gw

I breastfed my son, so he was older by the time we discovered it. At 3 years of age, he was coughing and sniffing so much in bed at night that I took him to the pediatrician, who recommended an allergist. Removing milk from his diet made a huge difference, and if he accidentally got some, it made a huge difference then too. (More than sniffing and coughing.) The pediatrician said not to give him soy during our test month drying out period as about 50% of his patients allergic to milk are also allergic to soy. We took a few extra weeks to dry him out because he kept getting milk accidentally. So we waited to give him milk substitutes till later. He then used a soy substitute for his cereal and even liked goats milk. He is 30 now, and still quite sensitive to milk.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
4 year old won't potty train
My four year old son refuses to be potty trained. Any...
rynn01
terrible 3's please help
So to start off, this is about my niece. I am her nanny....
ashleykreay22
3 yr old started stuttering
I am the grandmother of a darling 3 yr old little girl....
Joiful
My 2 years old doesn't walk, talk due to seizures
Dear All, My little daughter now 2, started fitting...
synchrony
Your kids may like veggies afterall!
I grew up thinking I didn't like veggies. As a vegetarian,...
ynnej
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™