A "prime" question...yes or no for wonderful finish?

caroline94535August 14, 2013

Hi! I haven't posted in about three years, but I need expert advice again.

I'm repainting the main hallway. I washed the walls with Dirtex two weeks ago. Everything is clean, dry, and prepped.

Right now the walls have a latex base, eggshell finish paint - "Rich Buttercream" - on them. Since painting the living room last week, I've decided the hall needs to be a lighter version of the new sage green in the living room.

The new paint is the same latex base brand as the current color. The current color has an eggshell finish; the new paint has a satin finish.

Since the current paint is about two-three years old, and has recently been scrubbed with Dirtex (and rinsed well), do I need to use primer on top of the eggshell finish paint before applying the new satin finish paint?

I have primer; I nearly always prime every wall no matter what, but this original paint is in such good, clean condition I need to know if I'm gaining any benefit from putting primer over it.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

no need to prime in this instance

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 2:50AM
caroline94535

Thank you, ChristopherN...I finished the job yesterday and the hallway, sans primer, looks absolutely beautiful! The paint rolled on smoothly and the finish is as nice as the pre-primed living room. I'm peeling the blue tape off today.

Now...on to the temporary soffits in the kitchen!

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:36PM
Faron79

SCORE your paint/tape-edge first!!!!!!!!

Faron

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 12:40PM
caroline94535

Hi Faron; yes, I always tape everything. And wash with Dirtex and "rinse until clear." I live in Larimore; I keep planning a trip to Fargo to visit your paint store! I'll be asking a million questions.

My house is old, not "old, interesting and historic," but old as in "old, tired, cobbled together, and needs help!" LOL

Any project I attempt I try to do it to the best of my ability. I try to research the "correct" way to do things; I read and plan forever. I have more time and energy to invest than money. I want the work I do and the changes I make to be as nice as any done in the "big houses."

I have learned a lot about painting on this forum and really do appreciate the help.

Next project - building a much needed coat closet in the corner of the entry/breakfast nook.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™