Childrens Books

hooverboyJanuary 20, 2002

Hi I dont know if this is the right forum to be posting in, but I have a great idea for childrens story which I am developing a plot for. I would like to know from parenstt hough what appeals to them in a childrens book and also what appeals to children.

What would make you want to PURCHASE a book, rather than just borrow it from a library?

BTW the story has nothing to do with Hoovers, so just ignore my name ;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stephanie_in_TN

I am a children's book fanatic and purchase more than I borrow. I can't see myself ever parting with the collection we have built.

What makes me purchase instead of borrow, or choose one over the other at the bookstore include;

Awards (sorry, but I do look for the Newberry or Caldecott seal)

Pictures that cover the entire page with bright colors.

A story my kids can relate to, something about animals or other children.

I also look for books that will teach my kids on their level. If I have two sililar stories, I will choose the one I feel they will learn the most from.

These standards might not help much. It's so subjective.

Bookmark   January 21, 2002 at 2:22PM
Kara_PA

If you can get Scott Simon and David Pinkwater to read it on NPR Saturday morning, you can be certain I'll buy it.

Basically the same criteria as Stephanie -- age appropriate, colors are interesting and give me something to do other than read the text (name colors, animals, etc), and awards do help.

I also like books that introduce my son to something outside of our everyday life -- whether it's a different culture or environment or animal.

Bookmark   January 21, 2002 at 11:46PM
sedwa

One thing that I'm enjoying, now that DS is getting older, is stories with a range of different emotions. It's certainly an added bonus when the illustrations and the text give the parent an opportunity to say "gosh, I wonder how *that* made him feel? how does he look..?"

Bookmark   January 22, 2002 at 11:23PM
aileen

What age child would you be aiming for. Bright pretty pictures with easy words for the younger ones. For the older ones, would it be male of female oriented? Fantasy or factual? For the child that is around 10, I would buy instead of going to the library for I would want him to take his time to read and re-read It. I would want it to have a vocabulary that would enrich his daily speech without it being difficult for him to read and understand. In other words. I wouldn't want it dumbed down.

Bookmark   January 23, 2002 at 7:33AM
Jenn

I am surprised sometimes by books that receive awards. Not all of them read well or hold my daughters attention. My daughter really likes animanls so books about animals are often what we go for. Pictures with a lot of detail, so her eyes have plenty to look at while I finish reading all the words on the page. Nothing too scary, and to my daughter; being chased by a bear, having a dragon in the woods, etc ... all too scary for her. She also does not like to see people angry and sad if it is a repeating theme in a story. She likes fantasy or realistic stories.

But since the parents are buying, therefor choosing for their little kids the other posts are probably more acurate. Most parents I know try to purchase books that will help teach, things like alphabet, colors, similarities and differences, how to share, etc.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 23, 2002 at 7:49AM
trekaren

I would prefer no 'bad words' in preschool books. I have one in which "shut up" was used, as well as calling people "stupid". Luckily she can't read yet and I read it to her with other words. I'm just glad they were library books that I could turn back in. They won't be bought by me if I find those words.

Bookmark   January 23, 2002 at 7:59AM
Kara_PA

Similarly, I steer clear of books that reinforce traditional gender roles. I look for books where Daddy's baking, Mommy's driving, etc.

I also appreciate a mix of ethnicities and races to help introduce DS to different ideas and peoples.

Books that require you to do something are fun, too. DS has loved Mr. Brown can Moo because we make the animal noises (and he can now, too), and has a book called Clap Your Hands that's really helping him learn his body as it will say things like 'wiggle your toes, touch your nose'. He can follow along and be active while we read -- which is great for mile-a-minute toddlers.

Bookmark   January 23, 2002 at 10:03AM
adellabedella_usa

My ds is 21 months. I like books for him that teach a lesson. We read one about giving up the bottle a while back and we're reading one now about being a big brother. A decent ABC book with concrete associations like A is for apple, B is for bat, etc., would be great. My child doesn't understand abstract concepts yet.

DS likes the books where there are sounds like Dr. Suess...Mr. Brown Can Moo. Anything that I can read and do voices or make special sounds are absolute favorites like the froggy books. DS also likes anything where he can look at the pictures and point out the everyday objects like dogs, cars, etc.

Bookmark   January 23, 2002 at 10:12AM
hooverboy

Thanx for all those ideas!

I will take them into consideration.

Bookmark   January 31, 2002 at 8:14PM
Lynn_Riley

Why would you want to purchase a book instead of just checking one out from the library?

Well if the child is very young repetition of rereading the book is very good for them. You would be amazed at the verbal skills they can pick up from repeated reading of a story. Repeat reading of books or stories is a good way to teach small children vocabulary.

Also repeat reading for older children is a good way for the child to learn to read new words.

Bookmark   February 2, 2002 at 1:31AM
christie_sw_mo

If it's for toddlers, anything with lift-the-flaps.

Bookmark   February 2, 2002 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Your kids may like veggies afterall!
I grew up thinking I didn't like veggies. As a vegetarian,...
ynnej
My 2 years old doesn't walk, talk due to seizures
Dear All, My little daughter now 2, started fitting...
synchrony
she is too demanding
First, my mom never hits me. My brother and I got into...
logan524
Did I hurt nanny's feelings?
My son (21 mos) goes to a lovely nanny who keeps total...
jollyrd
Tips for a long car trip with 23 mos old
We will be travelling in April by car - 1200 miles...
jollyrd
Sponsored Products
Ancient Country Style Black Iron Hallway Wall Lamp
ParrotUncle
Boy Communion Folder Set
$18.99 | zulily
Rocker Lounge Chair in Red
$160.00 | LexMod
Turbulence Anya Tray Table Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Eliot Leather Bench - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
kaarskoker Solid 4 in. x 7/8 in. Celadon Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 CEL-SOL-4
$6.28 | Home Depot
Bouncy Balls´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Early Chil
$255.95 | Bellacor
Honeycomb Ivory Cell Blackout Cordless Cellular Shades
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™