How do I fix a bad spray paint polyurethane job?

abw1401July 28, 2010

sanded down, primed, and hand-painted a wooden dresser in a green color. My husband was tasked with the final job - spraying a water-based polyurethane satin coat for durability/protection. Instead of doing long even strokes (he's not a fan of following directions) he must have spray painted some kind of circles on it because this is how it looks now (even after I repainted another thin coat of the green on top of it): http://www.flickr.com/photos/60231245@N00/4839702604/

Here is my question - how do I fix it? Do I have to get a power sander, sand it way down, and repaint the green (hand sanding got me nowhere) or can I use a brush and just paint on a couple more coats of polyurethane (using a paintbrush this time instead of a spray paint)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57

I'd take the smallest drawer and brush on a few coats of poly. See if that doesn't even things out. If it doesn't, you may have to sand, prime, repaint and re-poly the whole thing.

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 8:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

If you can feel bumps or humps, then those will likely show through the paint until you sand them off. There is really no need to use a poly for profects like this anyway. Just use high quality 100 percent acrylic paint in a washable finish (satin, semi-gloss, etc) and you should be done. The only time you may want to use a poly is when the paint is flat, but the better option is always going to be using a washable paint if you are looking for durability. Putting a poly on top of a paint does not make it more durable unless you are using really crappy paint.

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™