nursing, weaning and trouble conceiving (long)

Coras_MomJanuary 6, 2002

My daughter is 14 months old and is nursing. We are trying to get pregnant again, but are having trouble (no trouble conceiving DD) My OB thinks that it may be the continued nursing that is causing the problem and recommends weaning (apparently it is possible to have your period, but not ovulate). My plan prior to the problem conceiving was to let DD nurse until she weaned herself (thinking she would wean herself at about a year). Well I am not getting any younger, would like to have another child and our daughter isn't showing any signs of weaning. Has anyone else had a problem getting pregnant due to nursing? Will weaning her before she is ready cause any ill effects? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blessedin2000

My girlfriend got pregnant while nursing. Her daughter wasn't nursing as much (weaning on her own). I beleive her daughter was 15 months when she got pregnant so it is possible to nurse and get pregnant. I myself pumped my milk for my son who could not eat by mouth due to being born with no suck, gag, or swallow reflex so I don't know of any adverse affect on making her stop. Good luck!
Karen

Bookmark   January 6, 2002 at 6:23PM
terri_pacnw

I have had all my boys weaned at different times...
My second one was weaned from breast to bottle at about 11 months. He would accept either breast or bottle of formula and not have a preference...Other than he could walk around with the bottle. :o)
Your daughter will NOT suffer any ill affects if you chose to wean her now...
Also too, with all mine, I was "fertile" again around 16 months, not any sooner that I knew of...my last one has just weaned at 19 months. ( He never would take a bottle or pacifier.)

Eventually your fertility will return wether or not you are breastfeeding...I'd say if it hasn't yet, it will in the next few months...

Bookmark   January 9, 2002 at 9:56PM
AmericanMom_in_theUK

It is DEFINITELY possible to get pregnant while nursing. A friend of mine had twins and was successfully breastfeeding them. She recovered from the labor and delivery very quickly, and she and her hubby resumed "relations" just 2 weeks later. At 10 weeks postpartum, she found out she was pregnant again! (That pregnancy turned out to be ectopic, and she had to have surgery)

Bookmark   February 6, 2002 at 6:06PM
Mausie

It IS possible to get pg while bf (I've known three people who did!) but biologically your chances of ovulating are greater if you are not... 14 months is not too early to wean your daughter -- try making a slow transition so that you just nurse her less and less frequently (and be sure to make up for the lost cuddle time!) Good luck!

Bookmark   February 6, 2002 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
4 year old won't potty train
My four year old son refuses to be potty trained. Any...
rynn01
terrible 3's please help
So to start off, this is about my niece. I am her nanny....
ashleykreay22
Bedtime routine? What's yours
I don't think my bedtime routine for my 3 year old...
myfampg
my 2 year old son can spell words
so my sons favorite toy is his collection of magnet...
tylers_dad_josh
My 2 year old wont stay in bed! help!
My husband and I are having major issues getting out...
courtneyp102
Sponsored Products
Lippa 48" Fiberglass Dining Table in Black
$537.00 | LexMod
Campania International Williamsburg Orabelle Cast Stone Planter - P-559-AL
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Charcoal Hailey Shag Rug
$59.99 | zulily
Majestic Cordless Flex Christmas Garland Christmas Decor
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Avery Grey Storage Bench
Overstock.com