Life Changing Decision to Make
Here is the deal. I am a working Mom with a 14 mo. old DD. I am married, and DH and I both work full-time days. DD goes to a daycare center during the day. I have been very unhappy at my job, due to mainly my job is not what the job description says, and my boss. She is so anal it is disgusting. My boss and I have had many problems, too many to list.
I used to REALLY have a hard time having DD in daycare, but I have gotten much better with it. DD seems to like it and they do lots of neat things there. The bad side is that she has tended to get sick a lot this winter, which I am sure is partly her age and a lot because of being in daycare.
DH used to be adamant that I had to keep working. He is now seriously at the point where he is "ok" with it if I want to quit my job and have DD home with me. He says he has changed his tune because he realizes that happiness is more important than money. The deal is I would still have to work part-time, probably evenings and/or weekends, to make ends meet.
I currently bring home about 50% of our income, so it would be a huge hit financially if I quit. We have done all the math a million times, and with me working and having DD in daycare, I am still bringing home a very healthy paycheck. We also want to have one more child. Even with another child in daycare, I would still be bringing home a good deal of money.
I am SO torn, and do not know what to do. If I quit we would really have to cut back on things. If I keep working, I had thought about getting a different job and I think I would be happier, but if I stay here I am guaranteed 12 weeks maternity leave. If I went to another company, I would have to be there a while to get the 12 weeks maternity leave.
To add another monkey to the wrench, we also want to buy a new house. We have lived in our house for 5 years. It is 26 years old and we have done a LOT of remodeling to it. Even so, there are still many things that will be needing repaired or replaced. If I still worked full-time, we could afford to get a new house. If I did not, that would obviously have to wait. DH and I moved and had to change schools as kids, and it had an effect on us. We both agree that we would rather buy a new house to stay in long term before DD and second child are in school.
So with all my babbling, I hope it all makes sense. I just don't know what to do. I see both pros and cons to my current situation and what things would be like if I quit working full-time. If I stay working full-time we have more money, could buy a new home, and can keep DD's college fund going and we can keep socking away money for retirement too. On the bad side, DD is in daycare, and our lives seem so hectic all the time. If I quit working full-time, we have MUCH less money, finances would be tight, and we could not buy a new house or possibly even the college and retirement funds. On the plus side, DD would not be in daycare, she would be home with Mom, she would probably not get sick as much, etc.
I am usually very good at making decisions, but this one I am so unsure what to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.