Paint question???

Capegirl05July 13, 2011

When painting cabinets for a kitchen, should you use oil or latex??? what brand?? I have heard good things about BM Satin Impervo and Cabinet Coat??? You can ask one painter who will tell you that any paint other than oil-based is junk for cabinetry...another will tell you that oil-based paint yellows over time and that the new latex paints will work just fine. Any thoughts? What type of paint was used on your painted cabinets?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randita

Oil does yellow over time. Go with water based - BM Satin Impervo or SW ProClassic Satin. Haven't worked with the Cabinet Coat, but it's highly recommended as well.

You'll get a smooth as silk finish (be sure to take doors off and paint them flat) which is very durable and will maintain its crisp appearance for years without yellowing. It will also dry much faster, clean up easier, and have very little lingering odor.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:33PM
breezygirl

My new cabs are being painted as I type in BM Satin Impervo Waterborne. I didn't want oil as my cabs are white and I do not want any yellowing over time.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 5:00PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

My new cabs are being painted as I type in BM Satin Impervo Waterborne. I didn't want oil as my cabs are white and I do not want any yellowing over time.

That would be my choice

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 5:36AM
paintguy1

Prep is the key to success with cabinets - you do this step right and you'll have good results with either resin platform as long as it's premium. Yes alkyds yellow, so if you are going for white they are not a good choice. On the other hand, though acrylics have come a long way, they still do not get as hard as an alkyd finish. That said, acrylics are probably the best solution 95% of the time.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™