favorite books?

livvyandbellaJanuary 12, 2003

I am putting together a basket of books for my DIL baby shower. Can you tell me some of your favortes that you enjoy reading to your children?
Thank You.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

For a point of reference, my boys are 2 1/2 yrs and 9 mo. Here are some books that they like and I find easy to read.

Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
Bear Snores On
No, David
The Runaway Bunny
Goodnight Moon
Clifford The Big Red Dog
Rainbow Fish

I subscribed to the book of the month club for a while and picked out some good books that the boys really like. DH signed us up for a different club that was selling mainly Dr. Suess books and those didn't go over too well. In fact, most have never been read.

Depending upon what you want to spend, you can find suitable books at Wal-Mart or buy nicer ones at the bookstore. Just a word of caution my children have several nice expensive books, but the ones that they actually like me to read either have only 3 or 4 sentences to a page or rhyme or have sounds that you make like "moo", "buzz", etc. I know everyone likes to buy the really pretty books with all the nice pictures, but at this stage of life, my kids do best with the little 6" x 8" cardboard books or the others I've mentioned above.

Bookmark   January 16, 2003 at 1:43AM
whazzup

Amos: The Story of an Old Dog and His Couch has always been a favorite.

Bookmark   January 18, 2003 at 11:07AM
Momma_Bird_OH

Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. This was my favorite as a kid, DH's favorite, and is all 3 of our kids' favorite. It's a true classic.

Anything by Richard Scarry. Make sure it's really a Richard Scarry, because his estates has "syndicated" his characters. If the book says "Things That Go BY Richard Scarry" then it's a true Richard Scarry. If it says "Richard Scarry's Goodnight Book" Than it's NOT a real Richard Scarry.

ANYTHING by Rosemary Wells, especially any Max and Ruby books - "Max's Dragon Shirt", "Max Cleans Up", "Max and Ruby's First Greek Myth", "Max's Chocolate Chicken", "Bunny Cakes", "Bunny Money". She is mine and my youngest DS' favorite author.

OH, and you HAVE to include "Read To Your Bunny" by Rosemary Wells. It is the basis for the "read 20 minutes a day" movement. It's the sweetest book with the sweetest pictures, I tear up every time I read it to my sons.

Anything by Margaret Wise Brown (She wrote "Goodnight Moon"). My kids especially like "The Noisy Book"

Look for picture books that have won the Caldecotte Medal or won honorable mention. They are the "best of the best" from each year. "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats is a good one.

"Pat The Bunny" is also a favorite in our house.

I just love GOOD children's books. There are WAY too many children's books published these days and so many are just pulp, but there are some really good authors still at work.

Bookmark   January 22, 2003 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Did I hurt nanny's feelings?
My son (21 mos) goes to a lovely nanny who keeps total...
jollyrd
Your kids may like veggies afterall!
I grew up thinking I didn't like veggies. As a vegetarian,...
ynnej
Safe Mattresses
I am looking for some guidance on where to buy the...
gaslight1986
she is too demanding
First, my mom never hits me. My brother and I got into...
logan524
Best place for 2 yr old B-day party
Ok Parents....gather around and help this tired ole...
rushaheart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™