x-post bathrooms-add a flange to bathtub?

palimpsestFebruary 19, 2013

I am thinking of a small bathroom plan where a tub like the Kohler Mayflower (44" x 48") could make sense.

The 44" side has a 28" projection while the 48" side has a 24" projection.

This is a corner tub, but I was thinking of a 3-wall alcove application which means I would need a flange on one of the short sides.

Is it possible to do something like epoxy a tile flange on the outer edge of one of the aproned sides for proper waterproofing in a 3-wall alcove situation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracie.erin

Yes, they make add-on tile flanges. I wanted a really deep tub for an alcove installation but they generally only come as drop-in (or standalone). When researching I saw a few comments stating add-ons would eventually fail so I chickened out.

I doubt you haven't already searched the forums but here's a thread on this subject anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: a GW thread about this - see LWO's comment

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:25PM
marcolo

Hurry quick. This is an original Cinderella tub for sale with flanges on 3 sides, from what I see in the picture. And a fraction of the price of your new tub.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:49PM
palimpsest

Thanks for the link, Marcolo. Unfortunately the concept--a semi hexagonal floor space--requires the version with the angled front.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:33PM
palimpsest

I think I have a plan worked out where I can use the Mayflower tub in a corner installation, without the extra side enclosed alcove style.

The existing situation is a small back-to back full bath/powder room set up where the powder room was jerry rigged into a three quarter that is not code compliant, I don't think.

The plan is to redo both baths but there is no way to expand (at least in one direction) so gaining space for the 3/4 involves stealing a few inches from the full bath.

This tub provides the answer, I think, and it would be appropriate because it's a mid-century house.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™