granddaughter

livvyandbellaJanuary 23, 2009

I am writing concerning my 5 year old granddaughter. She is a sweet girl. She began kindergarden this year. She is very shy. Does play with friends. When you ask her what she did in school, she says, I don't know. My son and daughter-in-law are concerned because she is so shy. What would you suggest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47

Don't do anything, and don't ask her what she did in school. She sounds pretty normal for a five year old. Let her tell what she did in school if she wants. The more you all pester her, the less she'll tell. And look at how everyone answers questions she asks. If she asks "why is the sky blue", does the adult say "I don't know, but lets find out." She hears the "I don't know" part, and will answer questions asked of her the same way (this happened in our family).

There are treatments for extreme shyness, if it's a real problem, but be careful with that label.

You say she does have and play with friends. Maybe she's just not as outgoing as other kids, tending to watch and wait and gauge the situation to figure out her place. Kids react so differently to social situations, some plunging right in, some hanging back until they are comfortable and have figured things out.

Cut her some slack and let her take the lead in those conversations. If she has a quiet time every day with mom or dad where she feels safe and feels that she can talk about school, she'll probably start talking, slowly at first, to test the waters, but then, when she's confident, she'll probably start telling more. But don't ask, let her tell.

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 1:07PM
carol_in_california

My son, who is now almost 44, hated to have to answer questions about school when he was in kindergarten. But if not questioned, important things would get talked about when he felt like it. Usually at dinner when everyone talked about their day.

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 1:32AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Our teacher suggested we ask "What did you like best about school today?"

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 2:11AM
More Discussions
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
Tips for a long car trip with 23 mos old
We will be travelling in April by car - 1200 miles...
jollyrd
A question about baby clothing sizes
Hi everyone I'm writing to ask a question about clothing...
spedigrees z4VT
4 year old won't potty train
My four year old son refuses to be potty trained. Any...
rynn01
3 yr old started stuttering
I am the grandmother of a darling 3 yr old little girl....
Joiful
Sponsored Products
Magis | Reiet Children's Chair
YLiving.com
Magis | Paradise Tree Coat Stand
YLiving.com
Princess Fainting Couch w/ Storage
Overstock.com
Montana Woodworks Homestead Adult Rocker Ready To Finish
Beyond Stores
Magis | Linus Table
YLiving.com