Help painting bedroom furniture

realtorroseJuly 30, 2010

My cherry bedroom furniture is 36 yrs. old and needs a facelift. I have a 4 poster bed, nightstands and a triple dresser. I love the 'cottage' look and would like to paint my set white and perhaps have someone paint some flowers on the door fronts. Has anyone painted their furniture with any success. What is the process, do I need to sand the pieces, prime them and what is the best type of paint (roller or paint brush). I think I would also like the distressed look where paint is removed from the edges. Your suggestions and photos would be most welcomed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintergirl94

I paint furniture all the time, and if this is your first DIY, it sounds like a large undertaking. But it can certainly be done.
The prep work is very important. I would do a light sand and cleaning, then prime with an alcohol or oil based primer, like BIN or Zinsser. You can use a water-based primer, but since you have cherry and it was probably waxed, I'd go for the BIN, which is smelly, so work in a well ventilated area.
Next step is to paint. You can use latex for this, and there are many options. You can use a brush or a roller or a combination of the 2.
After you paint, you can sand the edges to reveal the wood underneath for that distressed look.
Then, you can glaze it or seal it.
If you could post a picture, that may help others, and try posting this on the home decorating forum. Lots of DIYers painting their own furniture!

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
Storing paint for repairs/touchups
I have paint that I want to store for later use. I...
esga
What colour to paint/stain stairs?
We have the golden oak stairs (see pic) and are wanting...
abbabug
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Sponsored Products
Cooper Classics Kynzlee Mirrors - Set of 4 - 15.5W x 15.5H in. (ea.) - 40509
$198.00 | Hayneedle
Paris Round Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
$394.00 | FRONTGATE
Stowe Chair - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Carl Fog Blue Loveseat
bryght.com
RION Furniture - Man with Umbrella - PAINT023
Great Furniture Deal