Big Toddler need a new car seat.....HELP!!!!!

eileenlaunonenJanuary 15, 2008

My son is 3 and looks like a 5 year old he wears size 5 clothes and has a 12 double wide foot but is not a chunky kid....NY law says he must be in a car seat yet I am basically fighting with the 5 point harness to clip it in and it at its last extension...he and I are not happy campers. I went to babies r us and the only one the sales boy had was 250 plus dollars!!! Is anyone aware of a BIG TODDLER CAR SEAT??? All I find is booster type where you use your own car belt. I called my local police and they said a booster is technically NOT acceptable. Suggestions please TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carla35

Babies R Us is usually way over priced for this kind of stuff or only offer the more expensive ones. Do you have a Target, Walmart, K-Mart something similar you can check out? May even look at Amazon.

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 11:29AM
momj47

What about a booster car seat. A lot of those look like a infant/toddler car seat, but are bigger.

This one even has a 5 point harness.

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 4:16PM
carla35

I think the boosters are generally made for 4 yrs old and up... and even when 4, my doctor recommends the other seats with 5 point harnesses are used instead of just boosters for safety. What's bad is, that it's sometimes hard to find a seat that fits a kid over 40 lbs. that's not a booster or where the 5 point harness can be worn comfortably on a bigger kid.

I personally would not put a three year old in just a booster seat even if the law provides for it with weight limits, unless you really can not find anything else. Plus, it sounds like in New York maybe it's not even legal if you're still three. Here a think a kid can use a booster if he's 4 OR 40 lbs, but like I said my Dr. thinks the other seats are way safer.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 9:28AM
eileenlaunonen

A booster seat is out of question (Laws) as I need a 5 harness and all that I come across hes to tall for so you can snap it between the crotch area. I see that Walmart is to soon carry one online but they have no info as too when.

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 10:09AM
carla35

I know you're dealing with more of a a height problem, but I'm having a hard time finding a 5 point harness for kids that weigh over 40 lbs. It seems like most of the convertible seats stop using them at that weight limit. I'm actually beginning to wonder if my doctor knew what he was talking about. He seemed shocked when I told him my 5 point harness seat only goes up to 40 lbs. and thought mine was more of a baby seat -- which it is not.

If you see any ones that can use the 5 point harness over 40 lbs will you let me know? Thanks.

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 10:22AM
eileenlaunonen

I will inform you if I can EVER find one!!!

Bookmark   January 18, 2008 at 8:49AM
eileenlaunonen

I found a car seat!!! The brand is COSCO sold at Target for 49.99 has a 5 point harness and holds up to I think 80 pounds...bought it a he fits in it beautifully!!!

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 8:41AM
carla35

Glad that you found one. Hopefully, they'll have it at my Target. You don't know the specific name of the Cosco seat by chance? like Cosco Seanna or Cosco Literra, etc... Thanks

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 12:29PM
momj47

That's this carseat. Looks good for a big toddler. It's probably the Cosco Juvenile.

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 2:30PM
carla35

But that one's just really a booster seat after 40 lbs. -- you can even tell by the name description. You can only wear the 5 point harness up to 40 lbs.-- since it's convertible it just becomes a booster seat then. I'm looking for one where the harness can be worn over 40 lbs. My doctor swears they exist... I am beginning to think he's crazy. All I'm finding are those convertible booster types like you noted. I'm not sure what people are supposed to do with heavy 3 yr olds in the states when they aren't allowed in boosters legally until they're 4. I can legally put my kid in a booster, but I would prefer the 5 point harness thing if they exist... Thanks anyway.

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 3:04PM
momj47

This one has a 5 point harness that seems to fit up to 65 pounds. It's not cheap, but it looks like it does what you need. Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Graco Bravo Nautilus 3-in-1 car seat

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 10:05PM
carla35

Thanks, it sounds like that is the kind my doctor must be talking about!!! So, he's not totally crazy! I did find a different one that fits at Amazon for $300... so this one is way better priced than that. I just hope they have that one in stock at my store. I guess I can always do an in store order with WalMart. Thanks again for finding it; I wasn't having much luck.

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 10:47PM
momj47

Glad to help. My daughter and I were looking for booster seats with a 5 point harness this weekend when I was visiting. My grandson is very tall and she'll be having a problem soon. She wanted some options now, before the new baby comes in a few months.

Happy traveling.

Bookmark   January 23, 2008 at 8:54AM
eileenlaunonen

That Graco looks like the one I bought at Target I got rid of the box but they have it on display in the baby dept its blue if that helps..and works great

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 9:31AM
tx_happy_camper

The Graco Nautilus is a great seat--it will be the last one you need to buy. There is also the Sunshine Kids Radian65 but it is not as versatile as the Graco model--it is great if you have limited car space because I believe it is narrower.

Good luck finding the new Nautilus.

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 4:08PM
caidynsmommy89_yahoo_com

I highly recommend the Graco Nautilus. It has a 5 point harness for up to 60 pounds. Also you can raise the head rest (very easily ) as your child gets taller. I think it's around $150-200 but it's well worth it. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
My 2 year old wont stay in bed! help!
My husband and I are having major issues getting out...
courtneyp102
playdates - how to relate to a "passive" mother?
I have one 2 yr old son. I am trying to have playdates...
jollyrd
Tips for a long car trip with 23 mos old
We will be travelling in April by car - 1200 miles...
jollyrd
she is too demanding
First, my mom never hits me. My brother and I got into...
logan524
A question about baby clothing sizes
Hi everyone I'm writing to ask a question about clothing...
spedigrees z4VT
Sponsored Products
Serta Roasted Chestnut Brown Puresoft Faux Leather Manager's Office Chair
Overstock.com
Mies Barstool
Italy Design
Elite Small Pink Flowers Bean Bag Chair - 30-1011-824
$59.00 | Hayneedle
La Mer Jellyfish Giclee Glow Bronze Club Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Korver Leather Sofa - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture