Now what? Granite was sealed without our approval

ruddycatFebruary 20, 2014

Hi!

I posted the other day about our Leathered Titanium slabs and our fabricators method of enhancing and then buffing. He did make us a sample and we were very happy with it. He told us that sealer would be applied on-site after installation and he sent us home with the sample.

In the meantime and after much research, we decided that we wouldn't have the granite sealed. I tested it with oil, vinegar and lemon juice and nothing left a stain. Water beaded up immediately on it so we determined it was a dense granite that didn't require sealing. And we'd heard and read (here on GW) of many problems with slabs that had been sealed that didn't need to be so we decided we would opt out.

Anyway, they just showed up with our granite (at 5:15pm) when they weren't scheduled until first thing in the morning. And they say that the slab was sealed at the shop, contrary to what we were told would be done. It's kind of splotchy looking and sort of sticky but when I rub it with a microfiber cloth it becomes smooth and feels good like the sample that had only been enhanced.

So . . . should I be concerned? Should I ask to have the sealer removed or just wait and see what happens? And if I'm not mistaken, if and/or when a sealer starts to cause problems (rings, stains, etc.), the solution is to remove the sealer at that time, correct?

Other than that - I LOVE the granite!! Am I worried about nothing?

Leigh Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gr8daygw

Don't worry. If I am not mistaken you can take it off with acetone, not the nail polish remover but a gallon can at Home Depot if you really hate it. Since you have to reseal every once in awhile it may just wear off on it's own if it's just sealer. I use a daily cleaner with sealer and I have never resealed it. I have one of the ivory granites.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 6:46PM
jellytoast

Call the shop and find out what product was used before attempting to remove it.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 7:10PM
kevdp4

Acetone will generally remove uncured sealer but it can be less than effective on cured sealer.

Find out what was used and call the manufacturer for instructions.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 8:17PM
Trebruchet

ruddycat:

This fabricator has probably done this many times with no problem. Let him know your concerns, but give yourself and him a specific length of time that you'll live with it, then review options. Why waste perfectly good panic?

Acetone is highly flammable. You don't just dump a gallon on the tops and scrub away. Use extreme caution.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:47PM
ruddycat

Thanks everyone! Well they're finally gone and I've cleaned with Daily Granite and a microfiber cloth and everything looks good. Most of the smeary, streaky stuff is gone and they feel and look really nice. Since none of the installers spoke English, I'll have to call the office tomorrow to find out what type of sealer was applied but I'm thinking I'll just register my concern at this point and hope for the best! At least if they develop a problem due to the sealer down the road - there will be a record of it!

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
Best mid (low?) range painted cabinet: Kemper, Medallion, Home Crest
Love this forum and would love to know anyone's experience...
fourquinn
How do I get a rich, warm, chocolate brown stain on oak cabinets?
We originally wanted white cabinets, but the painter...
aryno
IKEA Spring Sale 2015 begins 2/27
I spent a (long, long) day at IKEA on Saturday ordering...
tracie.erin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™