Do I sand between the two top coats of paint?

soozJuly 29, 2007

I did all the patching and prep work and primed the old bathroom--twice!--with appropriate wait times (thank you Faron for all your help!)

I just finished applying the first full coat of semi-gloss paint and am letting it dry thoroughy.

Do I need to sand or wet sand this before I apply the second full coat of paint?

I couldn't find the exact answer when I used the search feature on this site, when I read the paint can label, went to ehow and ask.com, so (sigh) I'm asking here.

Thanks for the input--I keep telling myself there's not such thing as a dumb question if you really, really don't know the answer and don't wanna make a guess! LOLAM !

Smiles,

Sooz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

No you don't need to sand in between coats.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 7:21PM
sooz

Thanks, paintguy!!!!

:O)
Sooz

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 8:39PM
Faron79

Sooz,
You've shown intelligence by asking the "dumb" (they're never dumb!!) questions! The world of painting isn't rocket-science, but people can really louse things up with bad or outdated advice!

Case in point:
On another forum I read...a guy had painted Ralph-Lauren's River-Rock on his cabinets, and was wondering why they didn't clean-up very well!!! Uffda....

Faron
PS...I did get your email the other day, via aol.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 10:39PM
sooz

Thanks for the compliment, Faron! I'm glad there was an easy answer on the forum, because I sure couldn't find one when I searched!

The bathroom is done! I finished it today! Tomorrow, I'll re-hang the towel racks and the shower curtain and put up the outlet covers and switchplate. Two more days, and we'll be able to take a shower in there!'

I decided to go with white instead of a beachy water color or a light pebbly color --but of course, I had to spend some time priming over those because I painted big ol' swatches of those on the walls to see what it would look like. It's a small bathroom and those colors made it look smaller and darker. White, with accents of that beachy water color (hey, I have a quart of it and cannot use it in my classroom!) is--to quote baby bear--"just right!"

Glad the email works. Cyberspace is such a mystery to me, but I do love it!

Be well!!!
Sooz

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 11:06PM
Faron79

Sooz,
Your switchplate comment reminded me...
* Leave-'em just slightly loose for a month until the paint really hardens-off good.
* Glad you're waitin' the 2 days b4 showerin'!
* Well...are ya gonna post some pix for all of us?!?!
* Ya don't think all this advice is FREE do ya??...wink...wink...;)

Faron

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 11:44PM
sooz

Huh? The advice isn't free??? Gosh darn!

Faron, I'll be glad to send you cookies! If you lived closer, I'd make you lasagne!

Thanks for the input about waiting a month to tighten the switchplate and outlet covers. As for pictures, no promises, but maybe!

Ciao!

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™