My hair is falling out in hand-fulls!

pinkbunnyOctober 10, 2007

I am really worried about my sudden loss of hair. I have a 5 month old baby and about 2 months ago I started loosing alot of my hair. I heard that that is common at three month post-baby, but I am STILL loosing by the brush-fulls. I dont know what to do, and wondered if anyone can reccomend a suppliment or scalp treatment or ANYTHING that will help with my hair loss. It so bad that I can see my scalp. I am not covered by health ins. at the moment (Im awaiting approval fro Blue cross) but I will go to the Dr. when I am covered for it. But untill then, I would so appriciate any advise you mom's may have.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mvastian

Supplementing iron will help some and it is good for the baby too if you nurse (both my obgyn and pediatrician recommended that I continue to supplement iron as I did during the pregnancy only a lower dose).

The hair loss is normal though because during the pregnancy and a little while after giving birth you don't lose any hair - it just gets thicker - so now it goes back to normal.

Maria

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 4:45PM
proserpina

Unfortunately, you just have to sit through it. I am going through the same thing and have developed a receding hair-line like my brother!!! I wear a lot of hats, scarfs, and have developed funky hair-dos to hide how much I have lost.... and I am already seeing baby-hair grow in. I am beginning to think this is why many neo-moms cut their hair short!!!

Iron is a good tip, although neither me nor my sister have really seen any difference.

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 3:38PM
pinkbunny

Thanks proserpina! Maybe I should cut my hair... Im going to start looking into shorter hair-styles... Im just so not a short-hair-person! But with how thin it is now, I NEVER wear it down (always have it up in a clip or pony-tail holder although I bunch it up in the holder. Even a pony tail looks too thin to wear!)
Im glad you see baby hair coming in. I hope mine starts to! I will try to get more iron.

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 11:21AM
pauly_2007

Okay, so I must say I have experienced exactly what you are going through. Yes, I lost lots and LOTS of hair during and after my pregnancy. My baby is 13 months old now and my hair is still growing back. I am having to buy a whole bunch of head bands to hold back the growing hair. Without these headbands, I look like Albert Einstein!

As far as scalp treatment goes, I highly recommend a product by Arbonne. It is called Thermal Fusion hair and scalp revitalizer. At first I didn't think this would work (being that I tried countless others). I tell you what.... IT WORKS!

The product is well worth it's price. It has and is still making a difference with my hair. It actually feels good on the scalp.

Seriously, buy it... you'll thank me later! Below you will find a link to the Arbonne website. You will have to buy it from an Arbonne consultant. When in their webpage, click on the link "Locate a consultant". It is really worth it.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Arbonne

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 2:38PM
pauly_2007

Not sure if this will work but the link below will direct you to the product I recommended. It is in the Arbonne "Intelligence, not so basic hair care" line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not-so-basic hair care

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 2:44PM
imamommy

get your thyroid tested. Pregnancy can affect a lot of things and one of them is a change in thyroid function. If your thyroid gland slows down, the symptoms are hair loss, weight gain as well as dry skin and feeling cold all the time.

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Best and worst baby items
Hello there! My husband and I are expecting our first...
Zena
Gentian Violet for thrush...anyone have experience?
I have read so many horror stories about gentian violet...
Shelby_Elsa
What type of cream? do you use when diapering??
I am due in a couple of months and haven't seen much...
loria
Baby Einstein Videos, love or leave 'em??
My Raquel has the Shakespeare and the Dolittle ones!!...
TamaraCSB
How much formula does your baby drink?
For those of you who do not breastfeed, I am curious...
newmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™