My 13 month old isnt walking or talking

cat3882August 1, 2006

My 13 month old little girl walks when you hold her hands and sometimes she will walk her walking toys around the house for a short distance. She does not say anything. She makes lots of sounds but no words. When I tell her do go get something she doesn't understand. She seems much like a 6 month old baby at times. Other times she does things that amaze me. For instance, I am trying to get her off the bottle and the other night she wanted one. She crawled into the kitchen got in the drawer where her bottles are and got one out, closed the drawer, sat down and sucked on the empty bottle. Also, we have a 7 year old that is "normal" in every way. My husband has a 4 year old that has been tested and has been classified as "metally disabled." She does not talk, not potty trained and understands little of what you tell her to do. She didn't sit up until she was over a year old.. my daughter sat up at 8 months. She also didnt show any signs of walking until she was over 2 years old. My concern is that my 13 month old has the same problems as her half sister even though there are certain things that my 13 month old can do now that her sister couldn't do at this age.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

Probably the best thing you can do is to make an appointment with your pediatrician to bring your daughter in for observation and share these concerns with him or her. Ask all your questions there.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 3:10PM
momj47

She's just taking her time. But ask her pediatrician.

My 29 year old didn't walk until she was 15 months old, and I was already pregnant with her little sister. I had nightmares of having two kids in my arms. Once she started walking, there was no stopping her. My second child walked at 9 months, and ran at 9 months and 1 day!

Enjoy

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 7:01PM
viper17

My 14 month old daughter is exactly the same. There is no blueprint, your child will be walking and talking when they are ready. If you are really worried about no words you should talk to your doctor but I was told an ear test would be appropriate because they may not be hearing words in order to say them correctly. My sister-in-law's son did not speak until he was 18 months, no words at all. My daughter can say "Uh Oh, Momma, Dada", she sure is cute though.

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
Stroller question
Hi, I am a soon to be first time father and my wife...
Servi
What do you use to line your CLOTH diaper pail?
We have a fisher price diaper pail that we keep use...
Paty
Best and worst baby items
Hello there! My husband and I are expecting our first...
Zena
Baby stroller advice please
We are having our first baby in January. There are...
sugar_and_spice
10 wks pregnant. Having a hard time quitting smoking. Suggestions
I would like to quit as soon as possible for the baby....
Ashtreemeadownymph
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™