Feeding solids for the first time

need411July 10, 2006

I know people start feeding their babies solids at 4 to 6 months, and just wondered when is it best? Sooner the better, or breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months better? And does feeding solids help the baby sleep longer? How many times a day, or rather at what times should you be feeding solids? I assume none right before bedtime? Any help on this subject would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babsinmd

There is a lot of info on this site about introducing solids. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Introducing solids

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 11:35PM
lindac

When my childrenw ere babies, you started rice cereal at about 6 to 8 weeks. And the usual time to feed it was at bed time because the extra bulk helped the baby sleep. It really helped with a colic-ey baby because the substance seemed to help keep the cramping away.
But then it seems they decided that breast milk only was best for a year....or some Dr's said 6 months. But recently I have heard more Dr's are saying that a bit of rice cereal at bed time ius fine if the child is waking and crying from pain. As one Dr. said to my daughter..."I never heard of a baby coming to any harm from a little rice cereal.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 12:55PM
sheilajoyce_gw

An article in this week's Wall Street Journal sited recent studies that said the 5th month was best. If people wait for 6 months, there is a statistically higher incidence of infant allergy. I think it was Tuesday's paper.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
10 wks pregnant. Having a hard time quitting smoking. Suggestions
I would like to quit as soon as possible for the baby....
Ashtreemeadownymph
Baby care products
Hi everyone, my wife and me are expecting our first...
MerrillGuz
Baby's eye color....question #3
Hey, it's me again...forum doesn't look too busy today,...
AspenE
I think Gardenweb is being reasonable
I think Gardenweb is being reasonable and I'm very...
Dajyter
Co-Bedding ?
Can someone explain the theory behind this? and when...
Brooklyn_Girl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™