Baby Bio Clock

proserpinaMay 8, 2007

I read everywhere that infants are on a 3-4 hour bio schedule (ie, they sleep, eat, and need a diaper change every 3-4 hours).

My baby seems to be on a 2-3 hour schedule. Should I worry? Do you think it's worth calling the doctor on this one? Am I "spoiling" him by tending to him so much?

Exhausted-new-mama-Proserpina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

All babies are different and have different needs. I had one newborn that ate every two hours, one that ate every four hours and one I had to wake up to eat (jaundice). If your baby is suddenly eating on a more frequent schedule or even simply eating more, he is probably getting ready to go through a growth spurt. I think the first one comes around four-six weeks. If you are breastfeeding, he may also be eating more frequently because breastmilk is more digestable than formula. The books are great guidelines on what to expect, but there is a large range in normal behavior that doesn't always get addressed. Unless your child doesn't appear to be gaining weight, I wouldn't call the doctor. You're the mom and if you think something is wrong, don't hestitate to call.

You're not spoiling him at this age. You're responding to his needs. He cries when he's hungry or needs a diaper. He needs you to take of that. Right now I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy having a little guy who needs his mama.

Good luck! I hope you're able to work in a little sleep.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 5:53PM
proserpina

Surely enough, it was another growth spurt... and yes, I am breastfeeding.... Thanks AdellaBedella. I have three step-children, but they came to me early but later on in life, so this first part of caring for a child has me in wonder a lot of the time.... but I guess the same goes for my little guy as it goes for the other kids: BREATHE!!!

:o)

Oh, he's gaining weight alright!!!

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 5:35PM
sheilajoyce_gw

It is impossible to spoil a baby. Take care of him and love him and play with him and have fun.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Baby Einstein Videos, love or leave 'em??
My Raquel has the Shakespeare and the Dolittle ones!!...
TamaraCSB
Anyone using Alimentum, Pregestamil, or nutramigen (formula)
Dr thinks Logan might have a milk allergy due to the...
AspenE
Anyone's first pregnancy over 40?
Hello, I have always wanted children and have just...
goodtastenomoney
Co-Bedding ?
Can someone explain the theory behind this? and when...
Brooklyn_Girl
Baby care products
Hi everyone, my wife and me are expecting our first...
MerrillGuz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™