Cherry cabinet look with Cabinet Coat paint over oak?

wjpwaltJuly 31, 2009

I am planning to paint my 20 year old well built oak kitchen cabinets. I have read all the how to do advice and feel confident in everything but one: the color choice.

I know White can be made to work and will look good after I do the new counter, floors and wall paint. But what I really want is the look of a cherry cabinet. With Cabinet Coat do folks beleive I can get the look of cherry with this wood and paint? I accept oak is not cherry but the dark color in my very bright kitchen would look great. I just can't predict if it will look too fake or not. Wold love to hear opinions and even better from anyne who has done it. thanks....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

How do you figure that Cabinet Coat paint _should_ look like wood? Maybe you're thinking of a faux bois (wood-graining) effect, but that's not done with a ordinary enamel paint. It is a rather more involved three or four-step process.
Casey

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 8:00PM
graywings123

Cabinet Coat only comes in white and pastels.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 9:41PM
lazy_gardens

Try the MinWax "polyshades". They are a combination of tinted varnish and wood stain, meant for exactly what you are trying to do.

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 2:36PM
sue36

Cherry is a smooth grained wood, oak is not. Painted oak looks like...painted oak. There is a product you can use to fill in the graining, but the name escapes me (a good paint store would know what it is). That will get you a smooth cherry/maple like finish, but it will be painted, not stained. As someone else wrote, Cabinet Coat comes in near-whites only. You could find a paint color like a merlot that is similar in shade to a dark stained cherry, if that is the look you are going for.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 4:14PM
neuroticcat_ymail_com

I too wanted to do a cherry finish by just painting. I saw it done on one of the "do it yourself" shows although I can't remember witch one. I've searched the internet and this is the closest I've come to what I saw on the show. It was done on bathroom cabinets but it should work for kitchen cabinets. The web site is www.associatedcontent.com/article/âÂÂ2682485/how_to_create... Good Luck!!!

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 11:43PM
raspycat

I was going to paint my cabinets too, but then I came across this thread:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1021240521611.html
Scroll down to the post from Celticmoon. I used General Finshes gel stain in java, but they also have a cherry gel stain:
http://www.generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-base-wood-stains-sealers/oilbase-gel-stains
I followed celticmoon's directions - they are very good. This will only work if you are going from a lighter stain to a darker stain (I am assuming your cabinets are currently stained)
Liz

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 4:58PM
raspycat

Oops, sorry didn't realize this was such an old thread...

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 5:59PM
graywings123

Thanks for posting the link, raspycat. It is good information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celticmoon's instructions for cabinet staining

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™