Autism and pesticides on cotton clothing

floreyMarch 26, 2008

Autism levels, among children whose mothers who lived close to fields that were sprayed with organochlorine based pesticides, were up to 6 times more likely, than those who lived 1,700+ meters away.

These poisens, dicofol, and endosulfan, are supposed to be being cut back on, in american fields, but have been grandfathered in, because they are highly effective. Their use abroad is unknown, but probably much higher.

Cotton is the top crop for these chems. They are also commonly used on broccoli, beans, other vegs., fruits, and nuts.

Even though these are preliminary findings, they may be helpful in choosing infant wear, and bedding, for kids otherwise at risk.

Study abstract on Pubmed:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2022665

Here is a link that might be useful: Autism and pesticides used on cotton -news

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

The findings show that people living close to fields being sprayed with those chemicals MAY be at a higher risk for giving birth to children with autism. BUT it does NOT indicate in any way that wearing fabric made from cotton raise the incidence of autism.
read the article again.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 5:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweeby

I've never yet seen a clothing tag that indicated which fields the cotton was grown in. And polyester clothes? Problems of their own, no doubt...

Sadly, no child is free from the risk of autism. And scaring the parents doesn't help.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Baby Einstein Videos, love or leave 'em??
My Raquel has the Shakespeare and the Dolittle ones!!...
TamaraCSB
Best and worst baby items
Hello there! My husband and I are expecting our first...
Zena
Are cloth diapers really meant for newborns?
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding cloth diapers....
angmul
Anyone using Alimentum, Pregestamil, or nutramigen (formula)
Dr thinks Logan might have a milk allergy due to the...
AspenE
Crib Bumper Pad
Do you have any recommendations for a good crib bumper...
Laurie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™