Looking for Equivalent Light

nyc_sportFebruary 3, 2013

We sadly fell in love with this light at Urban Archeology, except for the part that three of them cost about the same price as a late model BMW. Anyone know where these come from or close alternates (note that I know well the RH alternates, and these are quite large (part of the reason we want them) -- 20" or so in diameter).

Thanks

http://www.urbanarchaeology.com/popup/interior/hanging/depot.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

That's a great looking light, but holy crap, the price! I thought you were exaggerating about how much it cost. How does a hanging light cost more than I'd dream of paying for a stove?

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:59PM
localeater

Wow. Those are pricey!
I found these two at PW Antique Lighting. The first one is still expensive, but 1/3 the price of the one you posted. The second is less.

From GW Photos

From [GW Photos](https://picasaweb.google.com/117628792381036933260/GWPhotos?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI67x9mcxtGJSg&feat=embedwebsite)

Let me know if this is the right track.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:16PM
palimpsest

Look at Visual Comfort lighting for some very similar ones, and at Rejuvenation (semi-customizable) and Schoolhouse Electric for some that are significantly less expensive and similar in overall spirit.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:27PM
parks

Check out lights by Hi-Lite Manufacturing, completely generic name but some great lights, very good quality, made in California, and not too crazy on the prices -- especially compared to Urban Archaeology. This light is from their Milkman collection, shown here in a galvanized finish, but they do have a shiny one. Their version of polished chrome is painted aluminum. This light comes in 18" or 24" - as well as smaller sizes - for $171 and $448.20, respectively, on lightinguniverse.com. You might also check out their Harbor collection and their commercial offerings. Hi Lite has a website, but I don't think you can order directly from them -- but you can look around at their various offerings.
I bought a different style light made by them and was very, very happy.
You may know this, but this type of light is typically referred to as an industrial pendant and a similar look is nautical light. Both are very "in" right now, so I think Googling either term should get some good results. Have you tried ebay? I am often amazed at what I can find there. Other lighting websites -- shadesoflight.com, lumens.com, bellacor, wayair, even overstock. If you really want the cage over the lightbulb, add the word "vapor" to your search. Good luck!

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:43PM
ak0402

Here's one at Modern Furniture Warehouse - it's similar in spirit at least. It's 20" wide like you want, and it's $590.

Here is a link that might be useful: 20-inch wide Metal Pendant Lamp

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
Aditya Industries Stainless Steel Sink
Anyone ever heard of Aditya Industries as a supplier...
burbmomoftwo
Silgranit vs. Kohler cast iron Smart Divide
I have always thought I would get a Silgranit sink....
kelleg69
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™