Looking for Equivalent Light

nyc_sportFebruary 3, 2013

We sadly fell in love with this light at Urban Archeology, except for the part that three of them cost about the same price as a late model BMW. Anyone know where these come from or close alternates (note that I know well the RH alternates, and these are quite large (part of the reason we want them) -- 20" or so in diameter).

Thanks

http://www.urbanarchaeology.com/popup/interior/hanging/depot.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

That's a great looking light, but holy crap, the price! I thought you were exaggerating about how much it cost. How does a hanging light cost more than I'd dream of paying for a stove?

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:59PM
localeater

Wow. Those are pricey!
I found these two at PW Antique Lighting. The first one is still expensive, but 1/3 the price of the one you posted. The second is less.

From GW Photos

From [GW Photos](https://picasaweb.google.com/117628792381036933260/GWPhotos?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI67x9mcxtGJSg&feat=embedwebsite)

Let me know if this is the right track.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:16PM
palimpsest

Look at Visual Comfort lighting for some very similar ones, and at Rejuvenation (semi-customizable) and Schoolhouse Electric for some that are significantly less expensive and similar in overall spirit.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:27PM
parks

Check out lights by Hi-Lite Manufacturing, completely generic name but some great lights, very good quality, made in California, and not too crazy on the prices -- especially compared to Urban Archaeology. This light is from their Milkman collection, shown here in a galvanized finish, but they do have a shiny one. Their version of polished chrome is painted aluminum. This light comes in 18" or 24" - as well as smaller sizes - for $171 and $448.20, respectively, on lightinguniverse.com. You might also check out their Harbor collection and their commercial offerings. Hi Lite has a website, but I don't think you can order directly from them -- but you can look around at their various offerings.
I bought a different style light made by them and was very, very happy.
You may know this, but this type of light is typically referred to as an industrial pendant and a similar look is nautical light. Both are very "in" right now, so I think Googling either term should get some good results. Have you tried ebay? I am often amazed at what I can find there. Other lighting websites -- shadesoflight.com, lumens.com, bellacor, wayair, even overstock. If you really want the cage over the lightbulb, add the word "vapor" to your search. Good luck!

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:43PM
ak0402

Here's one at Modern Furniture Warehouse - it's similar in spirit at least. It's 20" wide like you want, and it's $590.

Here is a link that might be useful: 20-inch wide Metal Pendant Lamp

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Brickton's Finished Kitchen
We started our house in the fall of 2011 and moved...
brickton
Any ideas on drywall cost?
We are doing a DIY kitchen remodel. Completely DIY....
Kristen Hallock
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Need help with peninsula overhang
HELP! I'm very concerned about the way my 2cm granite...
mcmummy
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
MTI Andrea 4A Freestanding Sculpted Tub (65.875" x 32" x 22.25")
Modern Bathroom
Sequoia Glass Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Arbour Brushed Pewter Five-Light Energy Star Chandelier with Etched Linen Glass
$280.77 | Bellacor
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Lambert Hill 1-Light Hanging Outdoor Black P
$98.00 | Home Depot
Red and Chrome Finish Three Light Track Kit
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™