Painting pearlescent stripes???

blonde1125July 16, 2011

Now that our daughter had moved out I will be turning her old room into an office/guest room. I have painted the walls a light tan color but would like to paint wide pearlescent stripes on one wall which will give a little glam to the room.

Does anyone have experience with pearlized glaze? I really just want a glaze and don't really want a pearl paint like they sell at Lowe's.

If you have ever used it, can you tell me what brand you used, if you liked the results and any tricks that maybe you learned along the way?

Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

This is a wall in our basement. I used Behr Opal Pearlescent glaze. A friend who helped me had used it previously. The only thing I remember was the need to make certain edges of the tape were adhered in order to prevent leaks.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 7:30AM
blonde1125

Thanks. I had not thought of Behr. I had looked at Rustoleum and BM. I will check them out before I decide.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 5:39PM
blonde1125

UPDATE I went to BM and got a quart of there Metallic Pearlescent paint and had it tinted to a color that was very close to the existing wall color. Then I taped off my stripes and rolled on the pearlescent paint. I was apprehensive because of some reviews I had read, but it was very easy to apply and I love the way it turned out! My stripes were only 10 1/2" wide so I did not have to deal with a lot of the roller edge overlap issues. It worked great on the stripes, but not sure how easy it would be to do a whole wall or ceiling.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
BM graytint
used it? Love/like/hate it? Feng Shui says extra...
randekasp
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Sponsored Products
Mia Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Cloud Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Shimmering Substance Art Print
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Coral Life I Painting - MULTI COLORS
$169.90 | Horchow
Watercolor Lagoon Rug (5'3 x 7'10)
Overstock.com
A19 Lighting | Oahu Wall Sconce
$159.99 | YLighting