Oil vs. Alkd/Oil? - Cedar Shingle Siding

hoopla-pdxJuly 1, 2010

We put up new, untreated cedar siding about 19 months ago. At the time, we used Pittsburg Sun-Proof clear stain, which is an Alkd/Oil mix. It wasn't put on thick enough, and we ended up with a lot of bleaching.

We are now about to re-stain and need to choose what to use. Should we be considering a straight oil stain, or are the Alkd/Oil mixes better and likely to provide better sun protection?

Any recommended brands? Sikkens seems highly rated, but is almost 3x more expensive than Olympic and 60% more than Cabot. Should Pittsburg Sun-Proof work well if put on better this time?

We're in Oregon, so we get a lot less sun than many places, but the house is pretty exposed, and we do get intense sun for a few months every year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy1

The less opaque the finish, the shorter the lifespan. Get used to a lifetime of constant restaining if you want a clear or transparent finish on wood - regardless of brand. If it were me, I'd go with a solid stain and save the maintenance headache.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 5:02PM
hoopla-pdx

I'm aware of the re-staining frequency with semi-transparent. I'm just trying to figure out what the best stain to use is. Am I more likely to get 5 years from one and 3 from another?

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 5:33PM
Moccasin

Ok, I found some stuff which might interest you in previous threads on the Old House forum of Gardenweb.

It is about the Onion house. Take a look at the discussion of the options, the durability discussion. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onion House cedar shingles stain etc

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 4:02PM
hoopla-pdx

I still haven't found anything very useful, but I did come across an article posted on the Armstrong Clark site that might be useful to some in this predicament:

http://www.armclark.com/html/article_semitrans.html

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
How to fix this problem
We bought a new home and waited the recommended year...
pg57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™