baby gift

miriamfeltmanFebruary 13, 2002

Gosh, my kids are grown, so it's been years since I was doing the baby thing. I need your help mothers out there in selecting a wonderful useful baby gift for the mother of a baby girl soon to be born. Her youngest is 6 years old, and this is the first girl. She is a busy professional and has a nanny if that helps in selecting a gift? She will get lots of gifts, that I know for sure, and want mine to be special. Please advise, and thank you for your time. I know how busy mothers are with infants!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nadastimer

Some of the best stuff we got when DS was born was the really practical stuff, like diapers, wipes, and formula (DS was a premie and most of the stuff was bought after he was born and given once he came home). I remember all the diapers that were bought for us! We had so many premie and newborns that I believe we didn't have to buy a pack until DS was home for a month! How about preparing a basket with little essentials, like burp cloths, bibs, diaper rash ointment, rattles, some of those plastic links that I've heard a lot of raving about (they are a great toy in theirselves and they also come in handy to prevent losing toys), small receiving blankets, onesies, etc. Sometimes a mess of little things means more than one big gift. Good luck!

~Leslie~

Bookmark   February 14, 2002 at 12:27AM
jenibv

I agree with the above. I got tons of gifts but it was the necessity items that were the most helpful. You don't realize how fast you run out of those items. PJ's, wipes, onesies, diapers, towels, washclothes, etc.

I am sure any gift you get her will be appreciated.

Bookmark   February 14, 2002 at 8:16AM
phyllis_philodendron

The last time I did the baby shower thing, I put a bunch of little things in one bag, like baby soap, powder, etc. etc. like a goodie bag. You could scale it up a bit and fill a huge basket. I wanted to do like a "mom's survival kit" for my friend with bubble bath (although that might not be good for a while if you've had an episiotomy! ouch - maybe substitute epsom salts instead or something), candles, relaxation stuff, etc. but she doesn't have a tub, just a shower in her house. It's so much fun!

Bookmark   February 14, 2002 at 9:07AM
liltingbelle

Other useful things are often in the form of gift certificates - for film and photo processing, a portrait session, dinner out with hubby, a grocery- or meal-delivery service, etc.

If you want to buy clothes, buy her things for the appropriate season in 6-9 or 9-12 month sizes. She'll get lots of newborn and 3-6 month stuff that will be outgrown in a hurry, and it's nice to get some things baby can grow into. This might be especially nice since it's her first girl, so she'll be starting from scratch on clothing.

If she's had other kids (even if they're boys), keep in mind that she may already have many of the "basics" -- onesies and recieving blankets are often gender-neutral, and she's probably already got a lot of the early infant toys and equipment.

Bookmark   February 14, 2002 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Won't sleep in his crib
My DS is 4 months old and still sleeps in his carseat....
JacksMom
Silversand Photography?? In Home Photographers?
Hi. I keep getting a phone call from Silversand Photography...
beaner
Anyone using Alimentum, Pregestamil, or nutramigen (formula)
Dr thinks Logan might have a milk allergy due to the...
AspenE
What type of cream? do you use when diapering??
I am due in a couple of months and haven't seen much...
loria
Are cloth diapers really meant for newborns?
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding cloth diapers....
angmul
Sponsored Products
Bicycle on Sea Promenade Wall Art
$114.99 | zulily
'Begin Each Day with a Smile' Decal
$11.99 | zulily
Dale Tiffany Grape Vine Bowl
$119.99 | LuxeDecor
Chooty & Co Oxford Charcoal 19 x 19 in. Shirt Pillow with 3 Buttons Multicolor -
$55.32 | Hayneedle
Martha Stewart Living Craft Storages & Organizers Craft Space 6-Compartment
Home Depot
Salsbury Industries Lockers 83000 Series 45 in. W x 78 in. H x 15 in. D 3-Tier
Home Depot
Edushape Edu-Training Mat - 875001
$44.99 | Hayneedle
A19 Lighting Islands Of Light Sumatra Wall Sconce
$99.99 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™