ear wax???

Nox225February 10, 2002

My DD woke up this morning with a big chunk of orange/brown wax that fell out of her ear. I always clean them with saftey q-tips after baths (several times a week) I do nurse her lying down at night (which I heard was bad for ears but it saves me so much with sleep). She hasn't been any more fussy or anything so I don't think he ear is infected. Anyone had something like this happen before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JacksMom

How big of a chunk? I also have noticed small pieces of wax coming from my DS ears. I don't do the q-tip thing, but just wipe them out with a kleenex after his bath. I am going to the Pediatrician on Wed for his 4 month checkup so I will ask about the wax output then.

If your daughter isn't complaining, I'm sure she's fine. I'll let you know what the ped says about wax.

JacksMom

Bookmark   February 10, 2002 at 1:49PM
Karla_NE

Sometimes DD will have a piece of earwax come out of her ear that is like the size of the inside O of a Cheerio. (If that makes sense). It just meant that her ear was cleaning itself of some of the wax and dirt. I don't know how big you mean when you say chunk, but unless it is very big or it seems to be bothering her, I personally would not worry about it.

Bookmark   February 10, 2002 at 2:18PM
River

I have been told not to use any of the q-tips to clean their ear canals because what you are actually doing is pushing the wax down into the ear.

I know......I've cleaned my ears that way for years, but just to be on the safe side, I'm not doing it to my son.
I just wipe the inside of his ears with tissue and if I see a big hunk of wax down in there, I'll try and scoop it out with my finger nail.

Bookmark   February 10, 2002 at 3:26PM
bensmom

The general rule with stuff that comes out of ears is if it's not green, it's okay. If it's orange/brown in color your probably okay. If you have any concerns call the ped.

Bookmark   February 10, 2002 at 4:00PM
Nox225

Thanks guys! It was about the same size of Karla NE's post. I think everything is fine. I go for her 4 month check on Monday! I always use the safety q-tips. They don't even fit in the ear canal. I just hate dirty ears. I am so worried she will have ear problems. I had 6 sets of tubes in my ears from age 2-10!!! I don't want her to follow in my foot steps.....

Bookmark   February 12, 2002 at 2:47AM
More Discussions
What type of cream? do you use when diapering??
I am due in a couple of months and haven't seen much...
loria
baby signing time
anyone familiar with the program and are currently...
kellyhughes
Crib Bumper Pad
Do you have any recommendations for a good crib bumper...
Laurie
Formula to Whole Milk
When did everyone switch from Formula to Whole Milk?...
Abbeys_mom
Baby stroller advice please
We are having our first baby in January. There are...
sugar_and_spice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™