nightime breastfeeding promblem

Nox225February 9, 2002

I have had this problem ever since my 4 month old DD was born. Since DD is sleeping longer at night (thank Gosh) I go anywhere from 6-8 hours with out feeding her. I always wake up with my shirt and bed soaked and my boobs are hard as rocks. My boobs don't really hurt but everything (and I mean everything) is wet. I know I should wake up in the middle of the night to pump but the last thing I want to do is wake up for 30 minutes since I just started getting some good sleep!!! Does this ever get any better? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karla_NE

Yes, it does get better. I don't know how long your DD has been sleeping longer at night, but when my DD did, it took a couple of weeks for things to be completely better. I would NOT suggest getting up to pump unless you want that to become a nightly habit. If you pump, you are emptying your breasts signaling your body to make MORE milk. Which I don't think you want to do. ;-) If you are so uncomfortable you can't stand it, pump just enough to take the edge off, like for a minute or two, but no more.

Bookmark   February 9, 2002 at 1:52PM
Vickey

Oh do I remember this. Towels stuffed in the bra. Seriously that is what I did. I wouldn't get up at night (I wanted my sleep!).

Good luck, it will get better.

Vickey

Bookmark   February 10, 2002 at 8:45AM
Mana2agoria

Do you sleep with a bra? Maybe you can try that with nursing pads inserted in the cups. I don't leak, so I don't know what else to suggest.

Bookmark   February 13, 2002 at 5:14PM
Second_bub

My baby is 3 weeks old and I leak day and night like you won't believe. I have tryied every thing I can think of to put in my bra to soak up the overflow - the most successful thing so far - a disposible nappy cut in half, half on each boob, haven't leaked through one yet.

Bookmark   February 14, 2002 at 5:07PM
talley_sue_nyc

Pump just before bed instead of getting up at night--I'm guessing there's time between when you baby goes down and when you do? That'll lower it a little bit for the overnight, and put some in the freezer too.

And you'll adjust, eventually.

I used to have to get up and pump, because I _couldn't_ sleep. So for the first 2 months, my baby was getting 8 hours of sleep a night (no, I'm not kidding or exaggerating), and I was getting 4 or 6. But I had a 3-month supply in the deep-freeze!

I did eventually switch to pumping about 2 hours after she went down, which was right before I was going to bed. I didn't get as much as if I'd pumped in the middle of the night, and I was still really full in the morning, because it's true my body took that as a message to make more milk. But the baby was ready to get up and eat then. I didn't really end it so much as move it to a different time.

Bookmark   February 14, 2002 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Baby stroller advice please
We are having our first baby in January. There are...
sugar_and_spice
Are cloth diapers really meant for newborns?
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding cloth diapers....
angmul
Baby care products
Hi everyone, my wife and me are expecting our first...
MerrillGuz
Baby Einstein Videos, love or leave 'em??
My Raquel has the Shakespeare and the Dolittle ones!!...
TamaraCSB
How much formula does your baby drink?
For those of you who do not breastfeed, I am curious...
newmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™