Is Valspar one-coat REALLY one-coat?

carsonheimJuly 31, 2014

I got a bid on painting my whole house (new construction). The bid includes materials using Valspar one-coat paint. Anyone have experience with this? Does it *really* cover well in one coat? Does it affect the depth of the color?

Any comments are appreciated!!!! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

First, I'd have a discussion with the painter. See what he says.

IMO as an DIY engineer / homeowner - two coats give a better job. My experience is mainly with using a paint roller.

I've used many different premium brands of paint. I've always done two coats.

Painter's are notorious for try to cut corners. No doubt some can lay on one thick coat - but I'd rather have two coats.

Perhaps if the wall is primed, and the primer is close to the wall color... maybe one coat.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:54PM
lazy_gardens

Does it *really* cover well in one coat?

It depends on how thin the painter spreads it and if they are spraying or rolling, and what the color change is ...

The label says "One gallon of paint will cover up to 400 sq ft depending on surface porosity"

UP TO 400!!!!! That's actually pretty thick if you are rolling, about 4 sq ft per rollerfull (a 2x2 square), and many people apply it a lot thinner and need two coats because they have blotchy thin spots.

You need to have one GOOD uniform coat of drywall primer, even behind cabinets, and then your color coat or coats.

So, yes, talk to the painter and specify in terms of coverage

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 2:08PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

No real painter would depend on what any manufactures claim to one coat coverage, it just does not happen in the real painting world.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 5:51PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

One coat over primer is acceptable. If you ask the old dogs, it's better than two coats of paint.

So, if primer color is compatible to finish coat, go for it.

I'd spread one gallon over 350 SF.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 7:51AM
Faron79

"Cover in 1 coat"..................

Wellllll....of course ANYTHING will "cover" in 1 coat...;-)
(think about it for a sec....covering in one coat doesn't really say anything, does it...;-))

Yes, 2 coats ALWAYS brings a more even depth of color.
The "human element" is involved here remember!

Faron

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 12:15AM
geoffrey_b

"One coat over primer is acceptable. If you ask the old dogs, it's better than two coats of paint. "

First you say "is acceptable" - doesn't sound like a glowing reccomendation.

Then you say "it's better than two coats of paint."

Can you give a technical explanation why one thick coat is better than two regular coats?

I can tell you why two coats are better:

First off the painted surface has many small pores. With two coats, the pores that aren't filled with the first coat are more likely (statistically) to be filled with the second coat.

Secondly you have a lot better control on the even distribution of paint. One thick coat can leave drips / wrinkles, / sags.

Third is durability: Bumps and dings are less likely to penetrate two layers of paint.

Considering that prep and labor accounts for most of the cost - a second coat is greatly cheaper, probably
another 20%.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:14PM
PRO

GB...I always used the three coat system.

Nevertheless, some folks and some painters will use a two coat system and it's worked for many, many years.

It all depends on the substrate and expectations of client.

Don't buy a new house!

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 7:57AM
PRO

By the way, Faron and others are selling paint. One, two, three gallons. Who can't do that?

When a painter is selling paint, along with $500 in labor, he better have options. In the selling world, it's called Good, Better, Best.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 7:16AM
Faron79

Yes, I've been in retail paint for 12+ years.

When I "sell" 2 coats of paint, it's because I want their jobs to have the best results...NOT just to sell paint. We've got a good rep. because of that. I always go into the specific "Why's" if someone doesn't believe me.

Faron

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 12:05PM
paintguy22

A primer plus one coat of paint is the same thing as two coats of washable paint. Of course, this depends on the quality of the primer. A crappy primer that doesn't seal very well doesn't count as a first coat or a primer so you will need to apply two coats of washable finish paint over that to get the professional look.

I don't even mess around anymore with trying to sell customers on the prime plus two coats system unless it is new drywall. In my heart, I just don't feel as if my customers will get the best bang for their buck that way. In other words, if I do primer plus two coats over a previously painted surface, it's not going to be a significantly better end result than if I just applied two coats of a high quality paint. The customer won't notice, so I just don't think it's necessary. Now, if the customers are wealthy people that want the best of the best, then of course I will do it. I would also do it in my own house.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:18PM
PRO

Faron,

I didn't imply that you sell more paint than required. My point is, it's much easier to sell $50 of paint than $500 labor.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:25AM
Faron79

Brush-

I didn't "think" you meant that, but wasn't 100% sure! :-)

Yes...sadly...selling folks on a decent "prep & paint" job is difficult! Seems like so many people think painters should get paid $50 per total-job for labor...:-(

BUT...they'll routinely pay auto-mech's $75/hr.
(not the the BEST example I realize, but it works on many levels...)

Faron

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
Help pick paint colors for exterior 1902 victorian
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Sponsored Products
Candice Tufted Storage Ottoman in Linen
$139.99 | Dot & Bo
Serena & Lily Awning Stripe Fabric
Serena & Lily
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Underscore 5 ft. Air Bath Tub in Sandbar K-1167-GCRLW-G9
Home Depot
Arrow Office Chair in Black
$79.00 | LexMod
Remer by Nameeks N15 Tub Filler - REMER N15
$361.00 | Hayneedle