Is painting plastic cabinet doors a good idea?

kwb1999July 28, 2009

Hi!

We just purchased a house that is quite a fixer-upper, and are trying to do a lot of improvements on a limited budget. The kitchen has very ugly pseudo-wood plastic cabinet doors (maybe they are melamine???). We'd rather not spend the money to replace the doors, so I was hoping to paint them white. I have gotten mixed advice as to whether this will work. Has anyone done this? If so, what kind of prep do I need to do, and what kind of paint should I use?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

It will work if you do it right. Just because something is no or low maintenance in its current state doesn't mean people want to live with it. It just means whatever ugly is going on will continue to look perfectly ugly indefinitely.

Cabinets see wear. Whether they are painted or not painted, they're still going to get worn and used. Worse case is the cabinet doors/drawers you use most often, that will see the most wear, will have to get a refresher coat in a couple years. Buy extra paint and store it properly in case cosmetic intervention is needed down the road.

Not painting them because they might chip and look bad is a valid concern, but if you think they already look bad now as they are albeit for different reasons, what's the diff?

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 2:48PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

I hit submit and didn't mean to...

Here's a Cabinet Painting How-To. Brushworks (he posts here) wrote it. I just made it pretty and put it on Squidoo. It used to live someplace else, but I had to move it to Squidoo.

I would choose Cabinet Coat for the melamine cabinets. You just need to clean, sand, clean and Cabinet Coat. I wouldn't prime them.

http://stainmasterpaint.com/viewProd.asp?prodID=180

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushworks Cabinet Painting How-To

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 2:57PM
kwb1999

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to find some Cabinet Coat tomorrow!

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 12:35AM
More Discussions
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™