Upgrading the exterior of my house

betsyhacJuly 9, 2011

I have a small bungalow with wood exterior and aluminum storms. My goal is to get rid of all the white and silver. I'd like to have new storms/screens installed, in a color and with pet screen. The company that I would like to have do the work offers Provia. I believe it would make sense to have the house painted after the new storms/screens are installed, right? What instructions should I give the painters, as I know nothing, as far as prep. Cost is not an issue; I just want things done correctly so that they last. What about gutters? Are they paintable or would they have to be replaced? I'm still struggling with finding a good painter. I could have several out to give me estimates and info on what they would do, but I'm not sure how to determine their worth by asking the right questions. I'm in Wisconsin.

Thx,

Betsy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I posed a similar question about a year ago, asking the pro painters here how they would paint their own houses. Here is a link to that to get you started.

In my (not expert) opinion, you would want to remove the old storms, then paint, then put on the new storm windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Experts recommend

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 3:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
betsyhac

An overdue thank you Graywings. Exactly what I needed.

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™