What to caulk?

fannerJuly 11, 2010

We have a new porch that we will be painting in the next few days. Since all of our experience is with painting old siding we are new to 'new' structures. How much of the wood needs to be caulked? Do we need to seal up every gap between boards? We live in the midwest where summers are hot and humid and winters are usually below zero temperatures. In particular there are railings with spindals; do we need to seal every area where the spindals meet the railing top and bottoms? If I can figure out how to add a picture I will. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Here is a link that might be useful: porch rail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintergirl94

Your wood needs to expand and contract, not a good idea to fill w/caulk. If it's the look you don't like try trimming out with shoe or cove moulding. Then, I can't tell from the pics, but make sure your wood is properly sealed.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 7:01PM
fanner

That is exactly what I needed to know, thanks! By properly sealed are you referring to the painting? We are priming first, of coarse. Thanks again for the feeback!

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 7:23PM
paintergirl94

I wasn't sure from the photo if it was already stained. Yes, prime then paint. Don't know where you live, make sure no rain in the forecast!!

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 11:45PM
paintguy22

Some joints you caulk and some you do not. Generally speaking, you will caulk where the rail meets the posts but not the top and bottom of each spindle. Remember every gap you caulk has a chance to open up again so this can become maintenance. Also, use good caulk...DAP Dynaflex 230 is the best.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 1:41AM
fanner

Got it; stain when no rain and DAP where the rail meets the posts. I was hoping to hear that we did not have to caulk every nook and cranny. Would have been a good time to invest in the DAP company... Do we want to caulk the area where the posts meet the foor? That's it, no more questions ;) Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Post meets floor

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™