Best High Gloss white enamel for stained glass window frame

arley_gwJuly 7, 2012

Greetings:

I hang around the cooking forum a lot, and this is my first posting in the paint forum. Any guidance about this project will be appreciated.

I recently acquired 4 stained glass panels, each about 50 inches by 16 inches. They are quite colorful. As it happens they will fit just great suspended by chains in front of 4 long tall dining room windows. (On the inside, of course--they will not be exposed to the outside elements although the non-seen side of the panels will be exposed to sun filtered through the glass of the original window.) The frames of these panels appears to be clear pine, and they have been sanded down to bare wood. I'm thinking bright white high gloss frames would do a good job of showing off the colors of the stained glass.

It's gonna be a major PITA to hang these safely and properly, and I only want to put these up once--and I'd like whatever finish goes on the frames to last a long time under these conditions. I'd like advice on finishing the frames: what sort of primer to use on the raw wood, what sort of enamel paint to use over the wood.

Someone suggested an oil based primer like Zinsser Bulls Eye followed by a high gloss latex enamel.

Whatever I choose, I may use the same stuff to paint the trim around the existing window frames, but I really wouldn't want to go all the way down to bare wood for that if I could avoid it.

Before undertaking this project, I'm having to make some shop storage boxes out of plywood. I'll paint them and use them for practice so I can learn about the behavior of whatever paint I choose.

I'm reasonably handy with a brush, and (probably more importantly) I can follow instructions. As far as sources, in our town we have Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams paint stores along with Home Depot and Lowes. Since this won't take too much paint, the cost is not a major factor in the paint I choose. I'd rather spend money up front than have to repaint these panels in 5 years.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I am not an expert, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion. (grin)

I use an oil based primer when I am working on old exterior wood. And I use a slow dry oil based primer. But for something that will never be exposed to the elements and isn't old wood, I'm not so sure oil primer is going to make this paint project significantly better.

I use Cabinet Coat for trim work. It is satin finish, though, not high gloss. You don't need to prime prime bare wood before applying Cabinet Coat - or maybe it is more correct to say that the first coat of CC is the primer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Coat

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 3:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

I would use an acrylic latex primer followed by two coats of acrylic enamel.

SW Wall & Wood Primer is a good choice. You'll need to sand with 220 grit after the primer dries because acrylic primer will raise the grain of bare wood.

Finish with two coats SW Pro Classic acrylic enamel in gloss sheen.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™