Satin Paint Over Semi Gloss

ryuiucJuly 9, 2009

Hello. Recently (1 week ago) had my kitchen painted in a semi gloss finish using Sherwin Williams Duration (Acrylic Latex) and have found it to be much too shiny. I am looking to tone it down a bit by going over it with a couple more coats of the same color in a satin finish. Ive read and had a couple people advise me to lightly sand the existing walls before repainting but Ive also been told that the acrylic latex will adhere just fine to the semi gloss and not to worry about it. Also given that its only 7 days cured while it takes up to say 30 days to reach full hardness, sanding may not be necessary. I am obviously looking to avoid doing unncessary work but I also want a good job and not have to worry about peeling or the previous sheen showing through somehow. What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

I would sand it, but only because it is probably an 8 minute job. You will probably be okay without sanding.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 10:30AM
ryuiuc

Thanks, I guess I probably will or else Ill go crazy wishing I did for no reason.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 10:48AM
justabottle

Dont sand !!! it will only gum up and give you a rough finish.
Latex paints take 30 days to cure before sanding is an option.

You will be fine going directly over with a satin. Once coat will work but 2 will give you a more uniform sheen.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 10:33PM
paintguy22

DIY'ers and painters alike sand between coats every day all over the world and the paint is not cured. If the sandpaper clogs, just bang it out and continue sanding.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 10:53PM
sue36

I would sand it. I like to sand between all coats, I think it results in a nicer finish (I don't like a lot of texture).

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™