Do you use Vaseline?

Bad_WifeJanuary 15, 2002

I was given 3 LARGE containers of Vaseline at my shower. I read somewhere you shouldn't use that to prevent diaper rash. So, what do I do with 3 jars of it? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pam_from_the_PNW

It's great if you have rough, dry feet - put some on after a shower and wear cotton socks - your feet will feel much softer. Don't put it between your toes though, it feels uncomfortable.

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 1:08PM
nikten

If your baby gets a runny nose or stuffed nose and it dries they say to put vaseline on there to get the dry crusties off easier. Also can use on thermometer if doing a rectal temp. You can put it on really dry hands and then wear cotton gloves too. Lip balm too.

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 2:41PM
River

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say, I'll put it on my feet before I go to sleep and then sleep with the socks on and when I wake up, nice soft feet.

Recenlty my son has had a real runny nose, and I've put a little there to keep it from hurting so bad, but that's certainly not going to take up 3 containers of it...

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 2:41PM
CidaliaM

Why can't you use it to prevent diaper rash? The only thing I've ever read is not to use it to treat diaper rash.

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 3:15PM
Karla_NE

You can use Vaseline. Here are some good uses:

1) If you have a boy and if you have him circumsized, vaseline is commonly used as part of the healing process
2) Use it as a moisture barrier to prevent diaper rash
3) Use it if you or baby has a cold and the inside and outside of your nose gets dry
4) Use for taking rectal temperature for baby
5) Dry skin patches

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 3:34PM
Mary_T

Here's a useless (and disgusting) fact for you:

The guy that invented Vaseline used to eat a spoonful of it every day to maintain "good health". Shudder...

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 4:50PM
eternal1s

I did use it on my son's circ. Also, now that he is drooling, he gets redness on his chin. My ped told me I could use some vasaline on his chin to prevent that. I use it for dry patches of skin on him too. I still have a ton of it left.

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 5:43PM
indymom9901

Vaseline is actually the best thing you can use to prevent rash. It should not be used when yeast is the suspected cause of an existing rash, however. Vaseline in the only thing I used on my son to prevent rashes...

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 11:13PM
HaleysMommy

We always used Vaseline, and lots of it when DD was a baby...

Bookmark   January 17, 2002 at 10:33AM
mere

Do you have pets? You can use vaseline as hairball treatment/preventer for cats.

Bookmark   January 17, 2002 at 12:53PM
stafl

I personally refuse to use any petroleum product on my daughter, that includes vaseline and most baby lotions (they have mineral oil in them). SHe has very sensitive skin, like I do, and breaks out in little bumps. I still haven't decided what to do with all the vaseline I got at my shower, either.

Bookmark   January 17, 2002 at 11:34PM
Kara_PA

Mere - will cats just eat it?

Our long haired flabby tabby needs some help!

Bookmark   January 18, 2002 at 11:36AM
mere

Kara,
To be honest, I haven't tried it before. I've just read that it is basically the same thing as commercial hairball formula, just minus the flavoring. If you smear it on their paw, I'm sure they'll lick it off, just because cats don't like to be dirty, although I can't imagine that it would taste too good. I just have heard people say that it works and it's safe for the cat.

Bookmark   January 18, 2002 at 1:13PM
missmaggierock

Nothing to do with infants, but if you ever make stepping stones you could use it to lubricate the molds with.

Bookmark   January 18, 2002 at 3:09PM
sunshinegirl

Can you return one of the jars to say Wal-mart in exchange for something you really can use? They are good about things like that as long as the package is unopened.

Bookmark   January 18, 2002 at 6:53PM
bensmom

I know this is completely off the original subject.

Kara - another things you can use as a hairball treatment is corn oil. Put a little in a spoon and let the cat lick it off. My cat loves it.

Bookmark   January 18, 2002 at 8:05PM
Karla_NE

Keeping up with the OT, Kara you can also smear some butter or margarine on their paw for the same results.

Bookmark   January 18, 2002 at 9:33PM
Bad_Wife

Thanks for the tips. Sunshinegirl, I tried returning the unopened jars to THREE different stores, and they were all a no-go. Can't say I blame them. Thanks everyone for your input. Unfortunately, I don't have a cat (allergic!), LOL!

Bookmark   January 20, 2002 at 4:35AM
Irma_StPete

As a teen in the 1950s-60s, I used vaseline to shine my black patent leather shoes and purse.

Bookmark   December 8, 2003 at 12:48PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Massage into baby's scalp if he has cradle cap, let it soak in a while, and then shampoo. It will loosen the cap.

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 5:53PM
aimhoof

My friend is married to an African and they have 3 beautiful children together (I think that bi-racial kids are the cutest!). They use vaseline as lotion on the kids because it's really good at moisturizing the skin. It feels a little greasy, but after they wake up the next morning, they are SO soft and cuddly!

Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 12:02AM
sally25

Vaseline is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest eye make up remover!!!

Bookmark   January 15, 2006 at 3:09PM
mvastian

This is an old thread, but let me just add my 2 cents.

I would donate them to a women's shelter. Since they're unopened I bet they'd be glad to take them.

I know it is hard to use this stuff up and I do the dry hands/cotton gloves, dry heels/cotton socks, outside of nose red from the tissue, dry lips.

Other suggestions along the same lines: corners of mouth before the dentist - mine tend to break due to the stretch. And also (hope I don't gross anyone out): I have used vaseline on a cotton bud to clean my belly button real well. Any lotion will work of course or rubbing alcohol.

Maria,
Mom to HarA (Joy) 6 mo

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 7:17AM
sally25

belly button cleaning, eh? hmmmmmm... never thought of that.. hahah.. I'll have to give that a whirl.. :P

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 1:56PM
Linda Giorgi

Had to post this. Vaseline should never be placed inside the nose. It goes to the lungs if used alot. This was in the doctors office when it was cold season.

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
What type of cream? do you use when diapering??
I am due in a couple of months and haven't seen much...
loria
Anyone using Alimentum, Pregestamil, or nutramigen (formula)
Dr thinks Logan might have a milk allergy due to the...
AspenE
Are cloth diapers really meant for newborns?
Hello everyone! I have a question regarding cloth diapers....
angmul
Silversand Photography?? In Home Photographers?
Hi. I keep getting a phone call from Silversand Photography...
beaner
when did you baby roll over?
Hi moms, Do you remember how old your baby was when...
newmom
Sponsored Products
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 80 in. Double Vanity in Gray Oak with Marble
Home Depot
'Teach from the Heart' Personalized Print
$17.99 | zulily
13" Matthews Diane Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Timber Estate Walnut 29 1/2" x 35 1/2" Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Payson Mini Pendant 51 Inch Tall -Weathered Bronze
$53.01 | Bellacor