Non-pro review of BM Advance paint

brendainnjJuly 9, 2012

I'm posting this because when I'm checking out new paint to try, this is one of the first places I go to see what others have to say. I'm not a pro, but am the sole painter in my house, having painted every room/ceiling/trim myself in the last 3 houses we've owned. Also painted my kitchen cabs last summer. This is my first time using Advance so I thought I'd share my experience.

I chose Advance to paint a pine bookshelf. I didn't want to use latex as I was concerned about the damage the books might cause to the finish. I first cleaned & lightly sanded, then applied an oil-based exterior primer left over from my last front-door project. Man, that stuff is nasty! But I didn't want to let it go to waste when the BM guy said it would work fine under the Advance. Note that you do NOT have to use an oil-based primer, but since I had 3/4 of a quart left, I went that route. A plus was that the primer was already tinted grey and my paint color was BM Onyx. I applied the paint with a brush and foam roller. The paint is much thinner than I'm used to, and I had to be very careful with drips/runs. But it laid down beautifully, even on the first coat. There was still a lot of the woodgrain showing through, almost like a solid stain. I waited a full day, (recommeded 16hr between coats) then lightly sanded/tacked before applying the next coat. I was really hoping 2 coats would be enough and it was. I am amazed at how nice it looks...except for the areas in the corners which didn't get brushed as well, it looks like a factory finish (I'm extolling the paint, not my ability!) I used the satin, but because my color is so dark it looks more like a softer semi-gloss. Clean up is soap/water followed by a quick mineral spirit rinse...no big deal. My roller/brush survived!

I was so pleased with the results that I repainted my bedroom door with the same paint. It was already painted in a semi-gloss so I just roughed up the surface a little (and cleaned of course) and applied the Advance, no primer this time. I love this paint! The finish just doesn't seem "heavy" like some other trim paints. Hope this is helpful for another DIY painter...no offense, pros, I learn so much here on this board!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Pro or DIY - doesn't really matter on this forum, IMO. If ya used it you have an opinion and experience and it's beneficial to everyone when shared.

So glad your project came out so fabulous!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 12:13AM
graywings123

I appreciate the report!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:28AM
Karris12

Thanks for the report. Does the BM Advance have a strong smell? We are in a NYC apartment and still have the night stands we stained in the living room weeks later because we can't breathe at night. We've used BM Aura for a bureau and the smell was nonexistent. Now I'd like to try the Advance for a couple of bookcases but it depends on how strong the fumes are.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 6:55PM
brendainnj

No, Karris the smell wasn't bad at all--I wouldn't say non-existent but definitely minimal. And that's only while painting...once it's dry any odor goes away completely.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:55AM
paintguy1

To be certain, Advance does have more odor than Aura and it will linger longer than Aura but it has far less odor than a typical wood stain. You can speed up the curing process by providing extra airflow (a fan) and opening some windows. The odor should disappear after about 48 hours.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™