Paint over enamel

sue15cJune 15, 2010

Wanted the painter to repaint some doors and railings, but they haven't been painted in possibly 15 years. They could be an oil based paint, how would he know? Should he be priming first with something first? Or is there a type of paint he could use? I bought a semi gloss for the kitchen walls (faux painter likes to glaze over this), could he use that (SW 200)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Usually a good painter can just look at the paint and be able to tell if it is oil based, but to test this out you can take some denatured or rubbing alcohol and try to remove some of the paint. If the paint is easy to remove, then this means the paint is latex. You can paint over the oil based paint with acrylic paints as long as the surface is dull and clean without primer. Primer is never a bad idea though, especially if the sanding is questionable. I'm not that familiar with SW, but I believe Pro Mar 200 is more of a wall paint. Perhaps Pro Classic would be better for trim.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintergirl94

I agree with paintguy, a good painter should be able to recognize oil or latex. I always sand & prime, but that's me.
As for the wall paint, any surface with a sheen like a semi-gloss is perfect for glazing or many other faux finishes. If they are picky faux painters, they'll probably prefer a specific brand/finish, but what you have will definately work. I wouldn't, however, use wall paint for trim. Like paintguy said, use a trim paint.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™