My son has BAD breath...

WildfireDecember 15, 2001

He is 6 years old and I supervise/help him brush his teeth every morning, after school, and at night. The problem is, his breath is still foul.

Besides brushing more, does anyone have any ideas that can help remedy this problem? He is a very affectionate boy and loves to give me kisses and sit with me, but his breath is hard to take. Ofcourse, I would never turn down his kisses so I need some help here.

Thanks,

TracieB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Andy_Japan

Hi, Wildfire. WebMD suggests that persistent bad breath in spite of good oral hygiene warrants a dental visit.

Here is a link that might be useful: WebMD on halitosis

Bookmark   December 15, 2001 at 10:09PM
Wildfire

Thanks for the link! After reading that post, I realize that I may actually know the cause. My son has really bad allergies and Reactive Airway Disease, meaning that he has to have breathing treatments often. I saw on the link that respiritory infections was listed. I wonder if his RAD could be the problem?
Anyway, he has a dental appointment in 2 weeks, and a doctor's appointment Monday for his RAD. I'll be sure to mention this problem to the doc.
In the mean time, any suggestions for helping get rid of the odor?

Bookmark   December 15, 2001 at 10:17PM
Musick

Hi Wildfire
I'm a dental hygienist. I normally post at the pg forum but was peaking in over here and thought I could help. Even though he's six he's not too young to floss. This may not take care of the problem but it will help to remove all food and bacteria that the toothbrush can't reach. Because he's so young and doesn't have the dexterity to floss like a adult, check Wal-mart for dinosaur flossers. They are easy to handle and he can do it himself. They come with quite a few to a package. This is something he needs to do daily.
Also, if he is a mouthbreather, this can cause bad breath. It could be a combination of things but really make sure that his oral hygiene is good to stop any bacterial growth. Atleast brushing 2 x a day. I always advise parents of children this age to brush atleast once a day for them to make sure that they are getting it all real good.
Sorry this is so long. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Musick
(preg. forum)

Bookmark   December 15, 2001 at 11:00PM
Andy_Japan

Wildfire, folks in India, where just about everything has garlic in it, chew on parsley or fennel leaves/seeds. They swear by it.

I have tons in my garden for the swallowtails, so I pop some in my mouth on my way to work sometimes.

Parsley should be readily availble at supermarkets. Fennel seeds too--the leaves maybe not : )

Bookmark   December 16, 2001 at 12:07AM
Musick

Chewing on fennel seeds and parsley is ok but she needs to figure out what's causing the problem. A 6 year olds breath shouldn't be that bad so apparently something is causing it.
Musick

Bookmark   December 16, 2001 at 3:20PM
Peaches2_02_hotmail_com

There are plenty of reasons for bad breath, including stomach problems. Just flossing and brushing wont help if its intestinal.

One thing I found that helped my son with allergies was removing all dairy product and supplementing lots of acidopholis.

Bookmark   December 16, 2001 at 7:33PM
Andy_Japan

Musick, in my first post I suggested a visit to the dentist. Wildfire then asked what she could do in the meantime.

Bookmark   December 16, 2001 at 7:54PM
aileen

If he has allergies, there may be a mild sinus infection giving his breath an odor. How are his tonsils? Any possiblity of infection and odor there? If he hasn't seen his doctor since this began, a check up might be in order.

The RAD could be causing the problem. Because of the allergies, I would be VERY careful in trying any type of herbal remedy without a doctor's OK.

Bookmark   December 16, 2001 at 9:21PM
Peaches2_02_hotmail_com

Acidolphis is not an herbal remedy. It is the good bacteria that ALL people need. Even doctors acknoweldge the need to replenish the good bacteria lost in the intestinal tract, especially after a dose of antibiotics.

Even a healthy person could take this supplement and should.

Bookmark   December 17, 2001 at 8:48AM
Peaches2_02_hotmail_com

I just wanted to clarify that I know you were referring to the fennel seeds as herbal supplement.

I just wanted to add that acidolpholis is not an herbal supplement. :)

Bookmark   December 17, 2001 at 8:53AM
Andy_Japan

Peaches, never thought of fennel seeds and parsley as herbal supplements. People throughout the world use them in everyday cooking.

Bookmark   December 17, 2001 at 6:34PM
Peaches2_02_hotmail_com

Me neither but I assumed that is what the poster was referring to. LOL who the heck knows what herbal thing she was referring to, I just wanted to say achidolpholis was not an herbal supplement. :)

Bookmark   December 17, 2001 at 8:33PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Does he brush his tongue too? That really helps. My husband loves cottage cheese, which gave him bad breath. I used to tell him to avoid cottage cheese till he got home. Hated to think of him with such bad breath calling on customers.

Bookmark   December 18, 2001 at 4:16AM
gale_rains_hotmail_com

I worked with a kid one time who had bad breath and it was his Adenoids. Once they were removed, his breath was fine.

Bookmark   December 18, 2001 at 7:32PM
Carawood

"but his breath is hard to take"

I'm sorry, I know this is a serious topic, but that made me laugh so hard!

My nephew has bad breath, too. We figure it is because he sleeps with his mouth wide open. (This happens to my husband when he has a cold ... whew! Not fun waking up to that)

Anyway, my poor nephew has asthma, allergies, etc ... his nose is often clogged up, which is why he sleeps with his mouth open. The doctor gave him some sort of nose spray which clears his nasal pasages. I also use one ... adult version is Nasonex, forget what the kids' is called.

Bookmark   December 20, 2001 at 4:26PM
someonecares

Hi fren,

How's your son bad breath for current status? is it completely cure now?

cheers,
someonecares

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 3:51AM
More Discussions
To parents of other heavy gamers...
Please do not attempt to moderate or restrict your...
sarabera
Our adult daughter disowned us...
Wow. Our 21 y/o daughter has apparently cut us out...
baconeater
Normal Behaviour?
I'll keep this short... is it normal that 10 year olds...
gtrshop
parents of estranged adult children
I too have been where all of you are. I am so happy...
jan09
New cervical cancer vaccine - You & Your Daughter
My 16 yr old daughter & I are in the process of...
teaka123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™