peeling, fresh paint on vinyl shutters - salvageable?

ccbelleJune 3, 2010

We have 10 yr old, med blue exterior vinyl shutters that faded. Our HOA required us to remedy. My husband removed them and painted them (using a brush) with primer and two coats of Behr exterior semi gloss. In addition to being too bright a blue, the paint is peeling off the edges. He had spray painted a set years ago with success, but not with this set.

So now we're shopping for new vinyl shutters. Black this time, although our grey siding (also ten years old) has faded to a greyish white, and we have a blue and green stained glass covering the middle upper window. I guess black shutters will fade to something more pleasant than a light blue, anyway. Side question: w/out a picture, does this combo of colors sound ok? We have two tall blue spruces in front too.

The bigger question: would these shutters be salvageable/useful for some group like Habitat for Humanity? I doubt I could even freecycle them at this point, but who knows. Is vinyl ever that paintable (will it withstand southern sun?) Or would some vinyl renu product be a better bet in the future?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Are you sure it is vinyl? Most shutters I come across are made of plastic and they paint up just fine with a high end 100 percent acrylic paint. Behr is probably not considered high end, but I don't know if that is why the paint is peeling. The surfaces of the shutters should be clean and dull and I hardly ever use a primer. The paint will not be nearly as durable until full cure, which can take up to a month.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 8:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccbelle

thanks - I'm really not sure what they are. My husband is dragging his feet a little about ordering new ones, but I don't think the old ones are salvageable, unless it's someone who has a lot of time on their hands to remove the paint job (if that's even doable?)

It's hard to get excited about black shutters after working so hard to find the right shade of navy - but if we never have to go through this again, it will be ok by me.

We get a lot of sun on the front of the house, so even if the paint job had worked, I'm not so sure it would have lasted very long. So lesson learned - and it could have been worse. We could have installed them before they started peeling!

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
What color shutters for orangy brick house that will go up for sale?
Need advice, I'm a guy and I'm just not confident in...
Chris Rojas
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Storing paint for repairs/touchups
I have paint that I want to store for later use. I...
esga
Help with paint color!
My sunroom is BM Chili Pepper, the dining room is BM...
mererx
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Linea Wall Sconce (20 Inch)
$276.00 | YLighting
Porter Pendant by Robert Abbey
$797.50 | Lumens
Cal Lighting BO-2331TB Tiffany Table Lamp - BO-2331TB
$187.00 | Hayneedle
kaarskoker Basketweave 6 in. x 7/8 in. Navy and Silver Paper Candle Covers, Set
$10.48 | Home Depot
Blindsgalore Signature 4 1/2-inch Plantation Wood Shutters
Blindsgalore
British Colonial Swivel Dining Arm Chair with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Oval "Established" Plaque