Gnats in my paint!

jessicamlJune 5, 2011

I noticed a few gnats, fruit flies, whatever they are, flitting around when I was priming my cabinet doors, but I wasn't too worried because it was just primer, and none seemed to stick. However, now I've completed the first coat of paint (well, of one side), and a couple flies did stick. I picked them off and only teensy bits are left which I can sand off, but what will I do to keep them out of the final finish? I have a fan going hoping the draft would deter them, but I'd rather not have it going while I'm painting in case it causes my paint to dry too quickly. Has anyone else had this happen? Do you think it would work to place fruit fly traps or bowls of soapy water nearby, or will that just attract more? Aack!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arjay_gw

There has been discussion on the cleaning forum regarding gnats in kitchen areas even when no fruit etc. is around. It has been recommended to let sit, then flush the kitchen sink drains/garbage disposal with ammonia or bleach, soap and hot water. The gnats like the moist areas of the sink traps. It's worth a try!

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 2:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Try fly strips, sticky or pesticide-laden. There is a big difference in other strategy for gnats vs. fruit fly control. The first step in any plan is identifying them.

Fruit flys can be attracted to jar with some ripe fruit in it or maybe vinegar, beer or wine depending on species. Make a truncated paper cone with a small opening at the point and put the pointed end in the jar. They can find their way through the hole, but not back out.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™